No announcement yet.

Find out which files have ben accessed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find out which files have ben accessed.

Hi Guys,

I have been asked by one of the directors to run a list off of what files a certain member of staff has been looking at.

There is presently no software on there at the moment to do this.

I have used software in the past that logs this information, but as there is no software on there at the moment, is there anything anybody can think of that can look at the historical access of documents?

Thanks in advance

Ste
    Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Re: Find out which files have ben accessed.

Nothing to do it historically (since Microsoft Office Crystal Ball 2011 is still in early beta )

If is is in an active directory domain, you can enable auditing object access through GPOs (you also have to enable auditing of particular files / folders)

If it is not a domain you can enable auditing through local policies

What client OS are you using?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Client OS in this instance is Windows XP SP3.
      Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

OK, moving to XP forums for better response
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X