No announcement yet.

PC turns off on video playback

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC turns off on video playback

Hi guys,

I have an issue with a clients PC running XP SP3, where it shuts off when you open a video file. No matter what player, the computer will suddenly shut off in the first couple of seconds of playing a video.

I have tried numerous different video playback softwares including WMP10, WMP11, VLC and Quicktime. I have also updated the video cards driver with no luck.

Has anybody come across this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Re: PC turns off on video playback

Any errors in the event logs??? Typically i'd be looking for a SAVEDUMP error.

Does it blue screen, even for just a second??

Change you Start up and Recovery settings settings not to automiatically restart.

If it has blue screened you may be able to debug the dump files to see if that points you in the right direction.

Have you tried physically removing the card and using the on-board graphics? Does it still do the same thing?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Originally posted by gerdy View Post
        it shuts off
        What exactly is it doing - switching off instantly, shutting down properly or restarting?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

I would check to see if there is sufficient cooling on the processor and or grafix card, I have had this where the processor overheats and thermal protection kicks in.