XP Pro with SP2 freezing during windows updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro with SP2 freezing during windows updates

Have a PIII that I formatted and installed XP Pro with SP2. When I try to get updates it freezes. This is the same operating system that was on there before I reformatted, well I might have had SP3, but not sure. I can go anywhere else on the net burt cannot get my updates.

I went here
    Download details: Windows Installer 4.5 and got the Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable and that didnt work. Everything in device manger is fine there are no ? or !. Anyone have any ideas on why it is freezing with windows update?

Re: XP Pro with SP2 freezing during windows updates

What is in your event logs and in your update log (not sure of the name but its a text file somewhere)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Although I don't understand all of it but there are a bunch of warnings and fatal and appear to have something to do with the updates. I don't see a way to attach the file to this post otherwise I would send it. I could copy if that is OK?

I did install AVG, Hihackthis, and spybot thinking maybe I had some spyware or virus but I did not.

Comment

Copy and paste example messages please
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

this happened with lot of people , there is a bug with an xp update(don't remember exactly its reference) , google it and you will find out

Comment

Given there are hundreds, if not thousands, of updates that may be applicable to Windows XP, the above advice is not entirely helpful.

Could you perhaps name specific updates?
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Try setting the Auto Update to 1 hour after your present time. Let the Auto Update run and see if that fixes it. It has for me when I couldn't do it manually. Also look at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab0

Option 2 is to manually download SP3 and run the install then see if the Update will work. http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/d...displaylang=en
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you running your updates as the administrator of the computer???

Comment

If you actually come back to view this post, my advice follows:

Download and install the XP Service Pack 3 redistribution pack and be done with it...
                  Dell Registered Partner
                  Acronis Fulfillment Partner
                  Netgear Powershift Partner
                  GFi Authorized Reseller
                  Check Point Partner

Comment

Thanks Spawn. I posted a separate post because this is on another computer and it already has SP3. The PIII I finally got fixed and to be honest I did so much to that computer I cannot exactly tell you what I did to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                    X