Windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP

If you should still want to install dear old Win XP on a PC or Laptop I presume we will still need to get a license number validated, but will MS still send certain important updates? Likewise does this also apply to Win 98 , 2000, Millennium and Vista?

If you are wondering why anyone would still want to use say XP, look at the numerous perfectly good older scanners selling very cheap on such as Ebay because MS were no longer interested in supporting them with their wonderful Win 7 and 8, so that they only work on XP and above!

AFAIK Microsoft are releasing no new updates for XP, rather than withdrawing existing updates in the library
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks I realize no new updates are now being releases for any of the old versions of Windows. This is why I do not accept any that are still issued with XP installed years ago. But when XP is installed now, do previous updates still download please?

Comment

Yes, as far as I know they do
        Note regardless of when you installed XP, you should still update as much as possible
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

All previously released updates for Windows XP are available and can be downloaded and installed manually or with Windows Updates.

Comment

You can get the updates for XP via WSUS Offline. Download the file (Version 9.6), extract the contents of the zip file then run UpdateGenerator.exe. Select XP, configure the options as you need them and let it run. It will download all the XP updates released by Microsoft. You can then copy your WSUS Offline to a DVD and run UpdateInstaller on a client and install all the updates in one go.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

There is also AutoPatcher. Click on THE Autopatcher Download (oh, this link works as well) which is the first thread at the top of the Forum. Be advised it will download ALL the Updates you select so if you have a limited amount of downloads it can eat it up. Last time I went through about 6GB but I did have other operating systems and applications selected.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X