Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to combine folder redirection and roaming profiles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to combine folder redirection and roaming profiles?

We have users that log onto various systems, so we initially configured roaming profiles; however, some profiles are very large and take considerable time to load. I was wondering about the feasibility of configuring folder redirection within the group policy and then using roaming profiles for the other profile information (especially for desktop background, icon placement, and the like). It seems to me that if the My Documents, Music, and Video folders remained on the server, there would never be much data to sync up.

We have some people that need to have absolutely everything to look identical no matter what station they log into. I've wondered if the icons in the All Users desktop would show up as people move around, and if this is the case, is there a way around this?

Thank you.

Re: Is it possible to combine folder redirection and roaming profiles?

Yes it is possible and this is one of the recommended ways of dealing with large roaming profiles.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Is it possible to combine folder redirection and roaming profiles?

There's a GPO setting to disable the display of start menu and desktop items from the All Users profile.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
      X