How to monitor a remote workstation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to monitor a remote workstation?

We need to monitor Processor, Disk, Memory and a specific EXE file's processor usage on three remote WinXP SP3 workstations.

I'm looking at Permon but wrt monitoring the EXE, it seems that the EXE has to be running before it can be monitored. I'd like to be able to choose the EXE from the filesystem on the remote workstation and when it is run, capture the stats on it.

Is there another utility I can use?

Ideally I'd like to get the data in CSV comma-delimited format. Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: How to monitor a remote workstation?

Perfmon should allow you to gather data from a remote computer -- you can start the service using group policy

From your monitoring PC you will need to select the target computer so the data gets sent over the LAN to you then logged. If you are trying to log it at the remote end you may hit problems.

What OS are you using to capture the data?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm using a WinXP VM setup with PerfMon to capture data off specific WinXP SP3 workstations.

Only problem I have is that if the other workstations are not running the EXE to be monitored when I want to setup the captures then I can't get the captures for those EXEs setup.

Management does not want to let the users of the workstations know that their workstations are being PerfMoned in case that knowledge influences the operators to work differently.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Again, Perfmon (server version anyway) has no problem collecting data from remote machines. The user will not know this is happening as no application is running, just the perfmon service which is always available as part of the OS.

What do you mean "the EXE to be monitored" -- are you trying to monitor use of a specific application?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes Tom, there is an app which runs a client to our CRM package which seems to be slowing down the workstations, or at least the users and their managers say it is.

We thus want to monitor the EXE, when it is run by the users and watch what it does thru the days.

Thanks.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

I've been asked to monitor the Silverlight application. Is this possible and if so, how?
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

So does the CRM application add its own performance counters?
              If not, this process should help:
              http://www.matt-parkinson.co.uk/note...-with-perfmon/

For silverlight, I am sure something useful will be found here:
              http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X