Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Capacity in Windows XP

Hi,

I have installed 4 GB DDR2 RAM in a Win XP 32 bit OS. While Checking the RAM Size in OS, Shows 0nly 2.99 GB.
    I have tried /PAE Swithch in Boot.ini file and disabled Paging File. But no Improvement.

Can any one help me in this?

Re: RAM Capacity in Windows XP

Not very much detail given of your hardware... In any case, it is normal to see only 3.5GB. If you see less than that, I suspect it's because you have an onboard video card taking up some of the memory. My laptop for instance shows 2.9GB because the graphics card is configured to use 512MB.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Not sure how disabling page file will add to RAM!

IIRC /PAE switch is for server OS only.

As said, 4Gb is maximum addressable, reduced by BIOS, Video RAM etc.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

PAE does work on XP too, I just forget offhand whether that's the switch to use or whether it's implied with the /noexecute flag.

As for why he's tried disabling the page file... http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...xp-recognizing

It wasn't suggested in that thread, the OP inferred it.
        Last edited by gforceindustries; 21st July 2010, 19:05.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Maybe this explains it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137

Comment

Working...
          X