No announcement yet.

XP computer loses all functionality

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP computer loses all functionality

Hello all,

I currently look after a network of 20 computers, some running windows 7 and most running XP sp3 (32+64bit) Mine is 32bit.
    I joined my computer to the domain after a fresh install of XP. Here are where the problems started.

After about 15 minutes I lost internet connection. About 20 minutes later the computer could not open or close any programs without killing the process. Then I lost network connection and was left with only the task manager running and no explorer open.

I managed to install SP3 after downloading it on a seperate computer and running it on a disk.

I have taken the computer off the domain and it runs perfectly.

I disabled all GPO from this computer and user. Still did not work.

Removed any links/network drives created from previous GPO.

Done a virus/spyware scan on both affected computer and server. Found nothing.

My server is running Windows SBS 2008.

The only main changes I have made was adding the users into the SBS console as they were not before and I wanted them to access our internal remote site.

All other xp computers have been fine apart from mine. But bear in mind that this problem emerged about a month after the changes.

I think that's everything, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Mitch

Re: XP computer loses all functionality

What happens when you boot your computer with all startups and non-Microsoft services disabled?

Disable all scheduled tasks, too.

Any change in behaviour?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

This does sound very virus/spyware-esque..

What did you use to scan the PC ? I don;'t know what everyone else recommends but I swear by combofix

give it a go

Steven Roberts
      IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

@ste - I have trend micro running. No viruses/spyware have been detected.

@Blood - I will give that a go and see what happens.

Thanks, mitch

try to cancel any tasks in the process manager , maybe the processor is overloaded , it is probable also that there is undetectable virus doing its job ( especially if the computer freeze after exact 20 minutes )