Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-partitioning to accomodate Dual Boot - Drive letter allocation ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-partitioning to accomodate Dual Boot - Drive letter allocation ?

I have a hard drive which is partitioned with XP on the C: drive and the D: drive for data.

I have increased the size of the c: drive in preparation for installing WIN 7 and intend to have the PC as a Dual Boot with XP and WIN 7.
    To enable this I will , of course, have to subdivide the C: drive into two Partitions .
    I presume these Partitions will now be given the letters C,D & E with C containing XP and D containing WIN 7 , the data drive now being named E.

Is this a correct assumption ?

There are other partitions on this H/D . currently labelled , E,F, G and H. I presume they will all be moved one place to the right after their re-partitioning.
    In order to avoid problems accessing all these partitions I would like to name the subdivision of the C: by something other than D , say Z.

Is that possible without causing problems when I decide to boot the PC into WIN 7 instead of XP ?

If it is , how do I arrange it , please ?

Re: Re-partitioning to accomodate Dual Boot - Drive letter allocation ?

Why have XP in a dual boot when you can have XP running in XPMode inside Windows 7.

Why so many partitions?

Do NOT presume anything. I have seen Windows 7 install onto the C Partition but when you boot to XP it also says it is the C Partition.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Why have XP in a dual boot when you can have XP running in XPMode inside Windows 7.
      Will this be possible with WIN 7 HOME PREMIUM Version ?

Why so many partitions?
      A good question ! I suppose I've gone a bit OTP with the partitions. Perhaps I'll get rid of some . I just like to keep things separate . I suppose , when I first created them , I was thinking of keeping the size of any Image Files as small as possible to save time when imaging the various partitions.

Do NOT presume anything. I have seen Windows 7 install onto the C Partition but when you boot to XP it also says it is the C Partition
      Are you saying here that I should just install WIN 7 straight into the C: drive without dividing this into two partitions even although XP is presently living there ?

This will be the first time I've attempted a dual-boot setup - I had assumed ( in spite of your advice about assumptions ) ! - that a separate partition had to be created for each OS .

Comment

No, he is suggesting a fresh install of Win7 and then run XP as a virtual machine inside it ( for "XP Mode" for more info)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X