Thoughts about Changing from XP TO Dual-Boot WIN 7 and XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about Changing from XP TO Dual-Boot WIN 7 and XP

I am about to install WIN 7 onto my PC which already contains XP 32 bit. I have only 1 Gb of RAM so will have to upgrade this for WIN 7.
    Initially I intend to run this as a dual boot with WIN 7 and XP both installed.

I want to considerably increase the amount of RAM but am wondering whether the presence of XP on this PC will limit this.

In this situation with WIN 7 and XP being both installed will the XP RAM limit still apply ?

Also , would there be any problems here if I installed WIN 7 64 bit on the same PC AS xp 32 bit ?
    Last edited by thenoo; 15th July 2010, 16:46.

Re: Thoughts about Changing from XP TO Dual-Boot WIN 7 and XP

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
    I am about to install WIN 7 onto my PC which already contains XP 32 bit. I have only 1 Gb of RAM so will have to upgrade this for WIN 7.
    Initially I intend to run this as a dual boot with WIN 7 and XP both installed.

I want to considerably increase the amount of RAM but am wondering whether the presence of XP on this PC will limit this.

The only real limits on RAM are actually imposed depending on whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit. A 32 bit OS (X86) is limited to something on the order of 3.5 GB of RAM or ~4 as I read it. The X64 versions of both XP and Win7 are (generally) considerably more. Although you should check out this link to verify. Note: Be wary of the "starter edition, etc" because the RAM limits are much less.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...78(VS.85).aspx

In this situation with WIN 7 and XP being both installed will the XP RAM limit still apply ?

See above.

Also , would there be any problems here if I installed WIN 7 64 bit on the same PC AS xp 32 bit ?
    There should be no issues with this. I have done it with no problems.

Hope this helps!!!
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

You should also consider XPMode, where you can run a virtual copy of XP within Win7 and access applications as if they were installed on 7

Also note there should be no problems running XP with up to 4GB RAM
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And if you do install more than 4GB, XP will still work fine - it will just not use any more than 4GB.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X