Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security policy preventing access to power management

okay...

so, we've finally gotten tired of letting users be local admins (yeah, yeah, i know). so, i've been going around and removing everyone's admin rights. well, a couple of people balked about a couple of minor things.

1) not being an admin prevents users from double-clicking on the clock in the tray for just a quick little calendar. that was actually easily fixed via the local security policy. so, no real problem there.

2) this is the one i need help with: i have one user complaining that if he goes to lunch, or whatever, when he comes back, his monitor has turned off. his screen isn't locked, and he does not have to put in his password, he just finds it annoying. apparently, this was not the behavior before i took away his rights. i have checked all the settings and his screen should be staying on, so, i figured i'd add the local 'users' group to the power management policy in security. well, surprise! there is no power management group. so...

can anyone advise me on how to get this guy rights to adjust power management without making him an admin. also, i'd prefer to do this locally, rather than via gpo.

thx!

----------------
    Now playing: Frank Zappa - Oh No
    via FoxyTunes

Re: security policy preventing access to power management

Either or post more info please
    There are solutions out there but a little about your setup would not go amiss!
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

oops, yes, very sloppy of me. although, i can't think of much to add, other than that the client is wxp sp3. dc is w2k3 standard, sp2 (again, though, i'd rather handle via local policy as opposed to gpo).

um, i'm not sure what else i can tell you. what am i forgetting....?

thx!

Comment

Lol some users are unbelievably petty.

What is wrong with him/her moving there mouse to wake the monitor backup.

Comment

dude, i know! i told him, this is WAY WAY down on my list of priorities, but that i'd see what i can do. i'm trying be empathetic, as he's one of our graphic artists and he's got his work flow and BLAH BLAH BLAH. but, yeah, just move the mouse, sonny...

Comment

Did you checked the powermanagement configuration panel?
            And errr why are you preferring local policies in stead of using GPO's?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Solution!
              1) Buy a box of matchs, cut the heads off a few of them and glue them together.
              2) Get some glue, glue them together.
              3) Place enough under his mouse pad so that it has a gental slope to it.
              4) Tell user that his mouse was getting board, now it has a hill to run up and down while he is not there to keep it entertained.
              5) Is user compalnes his mouse pad is on a angel, change angel of desk.

:P

Unless the user is someone important, I would tell the user that its a power saving device, to lower there CO2 foot print, and if he thinks that having to move his hand 1cm to turns his computer on is more important than the planet, he is wrong.

I would also bring this to the attention of his Boss, as its costing the company massive amounts of money in the cost of your time to DISABLE the Power/Money saving device, all becuse the user is too lazy to move his hands.

Wofen
              Last edited by Wofen; 15th July 2010, 05:17.
              Good to be back....

Comment

@dumber: yes, his settings are correct. but, sometimes changing them, then putting them back does the trick. and, i don't have an aversion to pushing out a policy for this, other than, he's the only one complaining. so, i'd just as soon handle it locally.

@wofen: yeah, his boss is already rolling his eyes on this one. i'll try the matches thing and let you know.

Comment

If he is the only one complaining, how about setting him as a Power User. That may give him access to the settings he needs to "control".

You could tell the L user tou press the Windows key + L when he goes to lunch. it ain't that hard.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc730920.aspx although you have probably seen this already.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

"L user"

Comment

Working...
                    X