Moving Page File

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Page File

I have just followed the procedure detailed in KB Article 307886 in which I moved the page file from the C: Partition to the G: Partition.

I then re-booted the P.C. and see a newly created pagefile.sys with today's date in the G: Partition .

However there exists still the old pagefile.sys file on the C: drive with its old date.

This is in spite of selecting the option given in KB 307886 to have "no paging file" in the C: drive.

Can I now delete this C: drive paging file ?

Re: Moving Page File

Yes
    However it is best to have a small (16Mb is the default minimum) page file on C
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Yes
      However it is best to have a small (16Mb is the default minimum) page file on C
      OK but why is it still there when I selected "no page file in C:" in the KB article?

Also How do I now arrange to have the minimum page file in the C: Partition ?

I tried deleting it but was not allowed.

Comment

Do what you did on "D" on the C drive, but specify a max and min size of 16

Also check you did "apply" no page file to C -- you have to click and OK in about 3 places
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

[QUOTE=Ossian;211162]Do what you did on "D" on the C drive, but specify a max and min size of 16[QUOTE]

OK will do , thanks

Also check you did "apply" no page file to C -- you have to click and OK in about 3 places
          Perhaps I forgot some of the clicks and "ok's". Will have another try.

Comment

If you have the system recovery options set to perform a memory dump, that requires some swapfile on the system drive. Perhaps that's why you can't delete or get rid of it. Take a look at your system recovery options.

Comment

Working...
            X