Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying uninstallable programs for a particular user

Hi there,

Lets say that a few non-administrator users are unable to uninstall a few program via Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP. For the purposes of this example, lets say that the uninstallable programs are random--we know that these uninstallable programs exist, but we cannot predict which programs will be uninstallable. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to identify which programs a particular user does not have permissions to uninstall (apart from manually trying to uninstall each program one by one and seeing which programs fail to uninstall)?

Here are the places I am looking at to identify uninstallable programs:

1) The NTFS permissions for the uninstall files listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

2) The NTFS permissions for all the program files located in %ProgramFiles%\<Program Folder>

3) The NTFS permissions for the program files located in %UserProfile%\Application Data

Is there anyplace else I should be looking? For the record, checking the above criteria does not seem to be sufficient to identify all uninstallable programs.

Re: Identifying uninstallable programs for a particular user

Permissions on registry keys associated with the software.

I'm curious though as to why you'd want non-administrative users to be changing the configuration of their machines.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

> Permissions on registry keys associated with the software.

Good point, I'll definitely, definitely need to check there too...

> I'm curious though as to why you'd want non-administrative users to be
      > changing the configuration of their machines.

I'm not--I'm looking into a way to programmatically identify software that a given user does not have permissions to execute/uninstall.

The specific situation is that there are a number of PCs that have not yet been joined to the domain. These PCs have all had multiple users, who have created files and installed programs under their own local user administrator account. Most users use various files/software created by other users. Once we join the PCs to the domain and map the local user profiles to their appropriate domain accounts, because the domain accounts have normal--not administrator--privileges, as you can imagine, all sorts of permissions related problems will crop up.

I've figured out a way to programmatically identify files/folders that a given user will have insufficient access to, but I'm stuck on trying to do the same for installed programs.

If anybody has any ideas or cool scripts/tools lemme know...

Comment

Ok. The thread title implied that you wanted the users to uninstall the software rather than run it.

Use Sysinternals' Process Monitor to see what areas of the filesystem and registry a piece of software is trying to access, then set permissions as necessary. Then once you've done that, yell at the application vendors for selling you badly designed software. As far as I'm concerned, it's a major flaw if any piece of application software needs administrative permissions to run (or needs permissions to be modified). If a vendor advises you to make the user an administrator, then return the software for a refund and buy a competitor's product
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

> Use Sysinternals' Process Monitor to see what areas of the filesystem and registry a
          > piece of software is trying to access, then set permissions as necessary.

Hey that's a great idea! I forgot about procmon--that will definitely be a tool I can use.

> Then once you've done that, yell at the application vendors for selling you badly
          > designed software. As far as I'm concerned, it's a major flaw if any piece of
          > application software needs administrative permissions to run (or needs permissions
          > to be modified). If a vendor advises you to make the user an administrator, then
          > return the software for a refund and buy a competitor's product

Yeah, I know what you mean. You'd think that folks would know better, but for some reason some software vendors still assume that users will be logging in with Admin permissions. :/

Comment

Originally posted by grittyminder View Post
            >Yeah, I know what you mean. You'd think that folks would know better, but for some reason some software vendors still assume that users will be logging in with Admin permissions. :/
            Yes, MS inculded

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
            X