No announcement yet.

Win XP will not boot to the desktop

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP will not boot to the desktop

Hi All, I've got a strange situation here (or maybe its strange to me only)

I've a Toshiba Tecra laptop with Win XP prof - when I start the laptop it displays Toshiba logo & then goes to a black screen, I can see all the lights including hard drive lit up but it will stay on to that screen forever. Its only when I press ctrl+alt+del that it will reboot & proceed to the desktop without any further issues. No error message, no nothing. I've checked the power settings in control panel & set them to NEVER for all options. I've even disabled hibernation but no joy. I've set the settings to defaults in BIOS & run in-depth virus scan check but of no use.

Any suggestions?

Re: Win XP will not boot to the desktop

Enable boot logging mode ( will tell you how) and see what shows up
    (Note I do not mean one of the F8 options as this will probably catch the second (good) reboot -- there is a switch you can set in boot.ini that would log everything from the initial windows loader

However, it seems more as if it is sticking in the pre-windows phase -- if it is under warranty, probably worth giving Toshiba a shout
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I would see if you could start up in safe mode and utilize the msconfig tool. This tool will allow to disable services and start up in a "selective mode". try this.

OK...lets close this thread...laptop is faulty, nothing more nothing less, thanks for your suggestions though