Reducing size of C:\ Partition ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing size of C:\ Partition ?

In order to reduce the size of Image Files of the C: drive I am attempting to reduce the size of this drive by deleting unnecessary files.

The following files are amongst the biggest on my C: drive and I'm wondering whether it would be safe to delete them. They are :-

$hf_mig$
    Installer
    $PatchCache$
    ServicePackFiles
    $NtServicePackUninstall$

I have XP Pro SP3.

Could someone advise me on this , please ?

Re: Reducing size of C:\ Partition ?

I had a similar task to undertake in my last role. There are two ways in which you could resolve your query.

The first option, is to simply delete the folders, and see what happens.

The second option (the one I chose) is to research those folders, and find that there is a wealth of existing information on these folders and whether or not they could be deleted. Following my research, I established there was no need to come and ask a question that I could have found the answer to myself, and so I implemented any relevant changes based on that.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      I had a similar task to undertake in my last role. There are two ways in which you could resolve your query.

The first option, is to simply delete the folders, and see what happens.

The second option (the one I chose) is to research those folders, and find that there is a wealth of existing information on these folders and whether or not they could be deleted. Following my research, I established there was no need to come and ask a question that I could have found the answer to myself, and so I implemented any relevant changes based on that.
      OK - point taken .

Apologies for my laziness !

Comment

You can delete (or preferably move) all the ($hidden$) update folders except $hf_mig$
        (Check here for more info: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If hibernation is enabled, you can disable that to free some more (quite a lot of) space.

Also, run a cleaner such as CCleaner.

Check your drive for obsolete data and move it off. Check the drive for duplicate files and delete them.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Move the swap file to the D partition too
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Move the swap file to the D partition too
              Yep and will get you back a good gig at least. That is of course if you have a 2nd partition.

Please remember though that it is best to keep a m inimal pagefile on the c:. I use 16MB.

Comment

You can also set in your internet browser to delete it's temporary files when you close it. These files stay there and file can become very big. You can manually delete them.
                Location: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Temporary Internet Files

Or you can move it in your internet options to another drive.

Comment

Working...
                X