Windows Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Update

Has anyone any idea why today's strange XP update from MS fails to install on my PC and show on the Add Remove progams. It keeps recurring asking to be installed again. It reads below and I run Avast which never gave this probelm before.

XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 etc

Re: Windows Update

Can you provide the exact KB number also the version and SP of Windows you are running?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again. I just ran Ccleaner, a Defrag, and antivirus scan of All Dcuments and Windows, but no luck.

The number is for XP KB954430 and the last one showing in the Add Remove list is KB975562 dated 10/6/2010

The MS site updates states this is the only one needing installing.

Comment

(second time) what SP are you running?
        I assume you ARE using XP, although you do not actually say so
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Anything relevant in the event logs? I believe a failed Windows Update should log something.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I managed to solve the problem of some silly Windows update continually recurring asking to be installed, by just running system restore to about a month ago. The MS site involving installing some MS inspection software has provided no help whatsoever.

As a result I have become suspicious of future updates for the now almost obsolete XP and other of their software, and have opted to just be informed of any more. I know of many cases of people running Windows successfully who for one reason or another NEVER allow any MS updates to be installed. So I have always been very suspicious whether the vast majority of such updates serve any real useful purpose of providing extra protection for the simple home user like me.

Surely a fully paid up version of Antivirus software like my Avast should give you all the protection you need.

Comment

Sorry I did not notice someone was asking me which XP service pack I have installed. I understand from Sandra software it is SP3.

But surely if I have a SP missing Windows update would warn me, whereas all it now complains is waiting to be installed is Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430) which is failing to install.

Comment

Service Pack 3 is the latest SP available for Windows XP.

Don't listen to your friends

Always install the latest OS updates from Microsoft. They are designed to improve functionality, reliability and security, enhancing the user experience. If something goes wrong after an update is installed and the update is definitely the cause of the problem, Microsoft offer free support to fix it.

It is always worth quoting the error code given when an update fails. Someone may have successfully dealt with it before and be able to offer you some sound advice.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks. Actualy I finally traced the answer below from MS support. It appears to be a foulup of theirs going on since 2008, or an attempt to get us to buy Windows 7 ???

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-b42463370255

Comment

Working...
                  X