Windows XP Pro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro

I formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows XP Pro and when I try to get Windows updates it tells me that my version is not genuine. It is genuine and this is the same version that was on the computer before I formatted. I am wonding if it is telling me this because this is Windows XP Pro 2002 with no Service Packs, therefore older version. If so, how am I suppose to get the service packs if it won't let me past validating if it is genuine or not>
    Thank you

Re: Windows XP Pro

Its saying that you have already installed that copy of windows once, so when you try to reinstall it, it just sees it being installed 2 times. You have to call Microsoft, tell them you reinstalled your computer, they will ask you for a set of numbers (7x6 I believe), then give you a set of numbers, and that will activate your version of windows.

PS, you can download the service packs from heaps of places. And it should not be locking up the computer unless you have at lest SP2, as Windows RTM has almost no anti-pircey stuff.

Wofen
    Last edited by Wofen; 7th July 2010, 02:31.
    Good to be back....

Comment

I am a little confused as to what you are saying.
      I cannot get past the Genuine Windows Validation. That is the first thing it wants me to do when I get updates. I do that and the page says Genuine Microsoft Software and it goes away real fast and say Were sorry the page you requested cannot be displayed and it redirects me to a web results using bing and in the search box it says genuine Windows 7 DLlegalization ASPX. Cant get past this to get all updates including SP 3.
      I did download SP3 but can I install it with doing the validation?

Comment

Are you able to download SP2 on a 2nd computer, move it across and install it that way?

Also, whats with the windows 7 web page, is this for windows XP, or windows 7.

Also, Microsoft has a free licensing phone support, have you called them, as they will be able to recommond things that we can not legally recommend.

Also, I am assuming that this is a OEM license, and in some cases, you can not transfer that to a "different" computer (according to MS, changing a Hard drive and a Video card makes it a different computer).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890 <- MS "How to Activate windows XP"
        Go there and see if you are following the correct method.

Also, is this computer a Dell/HP/IBM/Some other big company? If so, call there support line, tell them the story and ask for support. If they say you have to pay for it, start to scream about them selling you a fake version of windows. That should make them help you.

Other then that, I would say the last thin is take it to a computer shop and ask them to look at it.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by sheila View Post
          I formatted my computer and reinstalled Windows XP Pro and when I try to get Windows updates it tells me that my version is not genuine. It is genuine and this is the same version that was on the computer before I formatted. I am wonding if it is telling me this because this is Windows XP Pro 2002 with no Service Packs, therefore older version. If so, how am I suppose to get the service packs if it won't let me past validating if it is genuine or not>
          Thank you
          There is a post somewhere on this site that has a link to a MS site that checks the version is not genuine "error". Do an Advanced Search with the bold text with the poster as Biggles77. I will see if I can refind it once I sort out the bloody crApple ITunes issue I have AGAIN!!
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/val...displaylang=en
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Are you sure its genuine???

Does it have the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker on the PC somewhere??? Not that this guarantees it genuine though.

What disks did you use to restore from??

Comment

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...ghlight=piracy

Look at Post #4 and see if the link is still active. Actually check it here. http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X