IE 6/7/8 Can Not find search page.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 6/7/8 Can Not find search page.

Had a client PC that had a problem we could not resolve, we ended up having to just work around it with Firefox.

I would like to why/what happened.

Any time we went to any website, we would get a
    "Internet Exploere can not open the search page" pop up, with a OK button. We checked all the settings we could find, and then some.
    We then upgraded IE6 to IE7. Same thing happened.
    Upgraded to IE8, still nothing changed.

The computer is a whitebox, with windows XP, and nothing special. No domain membership, only a single NIC, no wireless, basic AV (which have disabled completely).

If anyone knows what could of caused this to happen, please let me know, as its driving me insane that something so simple can turmph me

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Re: IE 6/7/8 Can Not find search page.

Does this happen with any web page or just a search engine??

Checked that the machine has no proxy ticked, unless of course it needs one.

Check for malware, spyware and viruses???

Reset all IE settings???

Comment

A quick search for this reveals that it is often associated with malware. Download a good AV/Spyware detection program and scan the system.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Sry, should of said that we have ran every malware tet under the sun (Trend, AVG free, Malwayrebytes, Spydoc, avaste....).

We have uninstalled IE6 before we installed IE7, as well as deleted all temp data, reset all data, cleared all folders.
        We ran SFC on the computer as well as CCcleaner.

I think the big question is, what makes IE prompt that error?

I have a feeling that its got something to do with a DLL in the system32 dir (as I rememebr seeing it try to access a file there before the error message), but after all the checks and tests we ran, it should of been picked up.

I think this is going to be one of those unsolved cases that keep me up at night.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

In IE 8: Tools -> Manage Add-Ons. Change your search provider. See what happens. Hopefully that'll overwrite the possibly bad file / reg key.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sadly the computer that had the problem has been handed back to the customer, with Firefox installed

But I know that we disabled all the add-ons, and this problem first presented with IE6 installed.

Wofen
            Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
            X