Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Office products prompt user to choose a program to open this file?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office products prompt user to choose a program to open this file?

Not sure if this is the correct forum to place this in but I think it will be ok. I have a user running Win98se with Office 2k. everytime they open any of the Office products, Excell, Word, ect. ect. They get that box that pops up asking what program do you want to use to open this file? The Icons produce that error and so does going through the start menu. I have not gone out to look at the workstation yet, but this is what they tell me. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Solid; 19th September 2005, 18:22.

Re: Office products prompt user to choose a program to open this file?

shounds like it lost its file association. when that happens just it should give you a list to choose from. just select the approperate application (word, excel), and check that box that says always open with this application. post back if it works, if it doesn't their are other ways to set it.
    MCSE 2000\2003, A+
    00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

I looked at the machine on Fri. I only had a few min. to check it out, and I will try to explain this the best I can. For example, when you create an Icon for Word or excel, it usually uses the Microsoft icon. On this machine it just looks like that piece of paper. I dont know exaclty what it is called, but it has a weird file extension as well. I have forgotten what it was now, but I will try to get that information for you. I also tried to create a new icon when I was there to a different application that we use. It also did not work. I tried to use the "Always open with this program" checkbox, but that didnt solve the problem. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Comment

the extension is now .lnk , and now that I made Excel the program to always use to open the links, all of the links look like they are Excel files! and all of the links when clicked say, "this contains macros", but they dont. what the heck is going on?

Comment

File associations look like they're shot.

Office 2000 was very twitchy, I would try to get it back into shape by doing this for each program
          start-> run-> (browse to PROGRAM not shortcut) - then do this in run windows..
          "c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\winword.exe /SAFE" for each program - don't load or save nay programmes but just open and close the apps this way. If you get a message saying something about safe try /a - either of these will make the application run in the 'out of the box' mode.

try this it could help - on your system find a file somewhere that definitely has the correct file extension (.doc, .xls or .ppt) - point to it then while holding the shift key down click the RIGHT mouse button. On the menu that appears, there will be anew item called 'Open With' - use this then navigate to the programme in your actual programs folder (I think it will be c:\program files\microsoft office\office10\winword.exe or excel.exe or ppoint.exe), and select the option that says 'always use this program for this file type'

Comment

I did the second suggestion that you said, and it changed all of the files and shortcuts to open with the program I selected. Example there were several icons on the desktop that had a generic icon and would not open with the correct programs. Word, excel, and a couple others, they were NOT all office icons. I picked the excel Icon and choose to always use excel to open this file. Now all icons on the desktop try to use excel to open them.....

Comment

try reinstalling office, it should re-register all the file associations. thats prob the easiest way to do it.
              MCSE 2000\2003, A+
              00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

I think what has happened is that you have picked a file called something.lnk and said 'open this type of file with excel' so each time it now finds a file called anything.lnk its using excel to open it.. .lnk files are shortcuts and typically point to the program you want to run or the file you want to open.

Looking at your postings I think you have a windows problem, not an office problem

This is a bit drastic -

heres the xp version, sorry I havent got 98 any more so I cant try it exactly ..
                go to windows explorer
                tools
                folder options
                file types
                if you have a file extension there called lnk make a note of its setings then delete it. (my xp m/c does not have lnk entries).
                at your desktop click f5 or right click then refresh
                (I'm not sure but you may have to reboot)
                all your shortcuts will probably look like folded paper again - hopefully they should run correctly, then after first use they'll become the proper icon again.

Comment

Working...
                X