Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network access by run

Hi All my seniors,

Actually now a days i am facing some bugs in our Win xp like when a machine running from last 1 or 2 hours which having some share folder.
    These share folder will automatically appears without unshared and while accessing that machine by his own ip address by Run then that says unable to connect or says network not found.

so, I am in dilemma from last few days why this thing happening?

One more thing is that when i do machine restart then works fine.

Hence, Please help me out and let me know whats the exact cause going on?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    Neil

Re: Network access by run

Have you installed/updated firewall software on the WinXP machines that may be blocking the Microsoft file and printer client (can't remember the exact name and don't have a WinXP machine handy)?

But - you say that the shares on the XP machine become unshared??
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I'm not too sure what exactly you're saying the problem is. I'm interpreting it this way:

You have a Windows XP machine which has one or more shared folders on it. Sharing works fine for a while, after which users can no longer access those shares. Trying to access the shares from that machine by entering \\machine\share at a Run box results in an error message.

Is that the case?

You've not told us what edition of Windows XP you're running, what service pack is installed and whether or not it's fully up to date.

We don't know what firewall and AV you're running on the workstation.

We don't know how many users are connecting to these shares, how long it works for and if there are any errors being logged in the event viewer.

Presumably since you're having to use a Windows XP machine to share files, this is for home or small office use with only a handful of users?

Please can you give us ALL of the relevant information so that someone may be able to help you.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Is this possibly the "only 10 connections" in XP Pro issue?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks to all for very prompt response.

We are using Win Xp professional sp2 and AVG internet security and both both win and avg firewalls are off.

Thing is that if my machine is running from 2 hours or more then all share folders of my system appears un shared until i will not do restart machine.

And on that time span if i will put ip address of same machine in Run (e.g \\192.168.0.29) then
          red color cross marked error comes which says network not found.

Comment

We *still* don't know how many users are connecting to the shares and if there's anything being logged in the event viewer.

We can't possibly help you if we don't have enough information.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is an issue of ICS and i have done all troubleshooting as explained in article ID 920074.

But after 2 or 3 hours it again persist which divulge that this article troubleshooting is not so suffice.
              And only two or three peoples are access share resources.

When i am checking in event viewer then
              In application shows one error:
              Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module acgenral.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x000116e2.

In security tab shows error:
              The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated with the following error:
              Access is denied.

You can also see enclosed snapshot which i am getting by infusing own ip addess in Run to see share resources.

I hope now got it all info. so, plz help me out.
              Attached Files

Comment

Bringing the machine up to date might be a good place to start...
                Gareth Howells

Comment

hi,

Have you done a google search for "acgenral.dll" ?

many of the pages I'm reading suggest doing malware and antivirus scans.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

By the way, i have also installed sp3 on my win xp professional some days back.
                    so, is this can be cause of this issue?

Comment

Have you installed all of the other available updates too?

Have you done as tehcamel suggested?
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

I have deleted acgenral.dll file from c: windows\servicepackfiles but problem still going on.

And what more update i require to install along with sp3 can you let me know?

Comment

Also, don't forget that the installation of XP SP3 enables the Windows Firewall - have you rechecked that?
                          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Firewall is not opening when i am opening by run then firewall.cpl.

It says to start iCS when i tried it says cannt start.

I have done troubleshoot as per article 920074. but it did't get output.

Help me:

Comment

Are you on a domain or in a workgroup???

Are your Workstation and Server services running??

Comment

Working...
                              X