Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with booting windows xp pro

Hi Guys,

Pls help. I have a windows xp pro pc booting up with the disk check. When the stages is completed, it just stays there. When I reboot, the same thing occurs.

I have an option. When I hit a key to skip the disk check, it went to the screen with starts windows normally, safe mode, and last known good config page.

Starts windows normally, it will goes back to check disk.

Safe mode, it will hang at a certain line during loading. Unable to enter safe mode.

Last known good gonfig doesn't work as well. I do not have the xp cd. Anyone can help? Many Thanks!

Re: Issue with booting windows xp pro

You may have a fault on the hard drive (HDD) where some system file is located.

I would (or get someone who knows how to) remove your HDD, save all the data, documents, Favorites, Outlook.PST or Outlook Express files (depending on what email client you are using, Outlook .NK2 file or Windows Address Book (.WAB). In short, save EVERYTHING you don't want to lose.

Once that is done run a scan using the tools provided by your HDD manufacturer. If it finds a faulty sector and is still under warranty, generate an RMA and send it back for replacement.

If it is out of warranty then you need a new HDD because the old one is only going to get worse.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Boot into the recovery console from the Windows cd and run chkdsk /f and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvinwgr View Post
        Safe mode, it will hang at a certain line during loading
        ... which one?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Safe mode will generally always hang at something when booting. File names can be anything though.

Comment

the Safe mode hangs at system32\mup drivers...... Can't remember the exact.

Comment

Get Windows XP buddy and log in to recovery console.

Do the chkdisk /F /R

And after that do the fixboot thing and restart.

Let us know if know is ok.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by tolt View Post
                Get Windows XP buddy and log in to recovery console.

Do the chkdisk /F /R

And after that do the fixboot thing and restart.

Let us know if know is ok.

Thank you.
                I'm sure i already said that lol.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. The PC is currently in a secured site. I will bring it out for test once it is available. I will keep you guys update on the result again. Cheers

Comment

Guys,

The chkdsk /r didn't work. It got hanged at 75% for more than half an hour. Any other suggestions?

By the way, just another question. I have a ghost image file in a NTFS harddisk. Can I ghost the image to a FAT32 harddisk?

Comment

What is the longest period you have left it for? Sometimes, it can take a long time for these things to run.

Have you left it for 2 hours?
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Yeah, chkdsk can sometimes take days depending on the size of the drive. If its a large drive (anything over 200GB) I would leave it overnight, as they can take ages.

Also, with the ghost, its yes and no.
                        Some ghost images (Most) will let you move from NTFS to Fat32 (dont know why you would), where in, some other will need you to basiclly have the exact drive you took the data off.

Wofen
                        Good to be back....

Comment

Surely a ghost image will restore the partition complete with file system?
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ghost will restore to any partition regardless of file type, well at least the ghost images i use do.

Re you problem with chkdsk. I'm with others and leave it running over night. I've seen a few machines i've worked on taking over a day to complete.

Also if you could most HDD manufacturers have a diagnostic toolkit to check any drives for surface errors. May be worthwhile running the manufacturers kit and check the physical drive as well.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I didn't really leave it running for 2 hours. By the way, it's a 80G IDE harddisk.

As for the question on ghosting, I guess I asked a foolish question. I should format my fat32 harddisk to ntfs before ghosting any image over to the harddisk.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X