Re-formatting 100GB taking too long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-formatting 100GB taking too long

I was having trouble with my WinXP SP3 PC at home- a virus got in and killed the OS. I thus am trying to re-install the OS but having issues. I have 2 HDDs in RAID 1 totalling 1 TB with a 100 GB C-partition and 900 G D-partition.

I have booted off the WinXP CD (custom built with mobo-specific RAID drivers), deleted the C-partition and re-created it by formating it as NTFS. It has been formatting now for around 4 hours and only 25% done.

Is this an indication of a problem somewhere? I know the bootable CD works cos this is not the first time I have had to re-install the OS. Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Re-formatting 100GB taking too long

I'm not surprised it's taking a long time for the XP install to format the drive, it sounds normal to me. Presumably you didn't select the quick format option. When setup performs a format (other than a quick format) it also runs chkdsk on the disk and that's what is causing it to run so long. You could restart setup and select the quick format option to speed things up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Comment

Thanks Joe, forgot to mention that I deleted the C-partition and re-created it, thus no options will be available for a fast format. Glad to hear you answer supports my experience!
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Strange, I don't remember that creating a partition forces a full format. I guess they fixed that in later versions because you can delete and recreate partitions to your heart's content with Server 08 / Vista discs and formatting only takes a moment.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
          Thanks Joe, forgot to mention that I deleted the C-partition and re-created it, thus no options will be available for a fast format. Glad to hear you answer supports my experience!
          Glad to help.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
            Thanks Joe, forgot to mention that I deleted the C-partition and re-created it, thus no options will be available for a fast format.
            The only option removed in this case is to use the previous file format other wise you still have Quick or Full options. Unless of course you have a "modified" installation CD.

One way to do a fast HDD format is to use the tools supplied by the appropriate HDD anufacturer.

When I get a new HDD of any size I ALWAYS do a Full format to make sure it doesn't have any defects or that the format process maps the bad sectors out to the spare cylinders and a Full format does take time. My first 40GB 10,000rpm SCSI HDD took 29 minutes.

I would suggest you get a boot CD and make sure it has a HDD checker and do a full scan on your HDD. If the drive has bad sectors then that can also account for a very slow format. With your experience JD, this is something you should know.
            Last edited by biggles77; 31st May 2010, 00:56. Reason: Remove unneeded word.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X