Files and Settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files and Settings

I like to try to protect myself against some problems by saving a copy of just my Windows XP Settings in case it is needed later. But I no longer find it possible because of the time it takes perhaps over 30 minutes, or even by trying to restoring them using a file of previous settings.

Is the problem caused by the fact I have had this PC now for over 3 years and have built up too large a collection of settings? If so is there a safe way to remove some settings?

Re: Files and Settings

Can you explain the process you use to save and restore the settings?

System Restore should do this - is this what is taking 30mins? If so, some Windows maintenance is called for to 'clean' your machine.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

The method is to use START / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / File and Settings Transfer Wizard or a Shortcut reads %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\usmt\migwiz.exe

I have already tried CCleaner

Comment

How much data is being backed up? The more data you have the longer it will take.

Have you considered an alternate backup method? There are free backup programs available that will allow you to backup Windows settings and data incrementally - only changed data is backed up after the initial full backup.

Comment

Thanks I only want to backup settingss, but it looks as if I have allowed too much to accumulate.

Comment

There's no such thing as too much...

Have a look at GFI Backup (free). Coupled with System Restore (automatic) it should work well for what you want to achieve.

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X