No announcement yet.

User login problem !

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User login problem !

I am running Windows XP Professional with service pack 2 installed.

Windows firewall is ON
    Using McAfee anti virus
    C:/ drive is NTFS format
    D:/ drive is FAT32

Problem : I want guests to be able to log on to my laptop locally.
    My laptop is not a part of any network. Guest account is enabled.
    Password is set by myself and i am administrator by default.
    When i log off and log on by putting Guest name and password a error
    says "Your not allowed to log in interactively" . I checked propertied of
    "Guest" account and everything is OK .

Can anybody give me solution ?

All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: User login problem !

Managing Users
    There are actually three different User Accounts dialogs in Windows XP, each with a different design and "intended audience," so to speak. The problem is that each window has a few options not found in the other, so no single window can be used exclusively to handle all tasks.

User Accounts

The primary user accounts interface, accessible by going to Control Panel User Accounts , is the one that most users see. It's large, friendly, and unfortunately, somewhat cumbersome. But, given the "administrator" stigma behind user accounts, it's not surprising that Microsoft has gone to great lengths (some feel too far) to make this window less intimidating and easier to use than its counterparts in earlier versions of Windows.

You can add, delete, or modify user accounts in the User Accounts dialog, but not much else.

Adding, customizing, and removing user accounts is extremely easy, and for the most part, self-explanatory in this window, and that is admirable. But sometimes you'll need one of the alternate dialogs, listed below, to accomplish some of the more advanced tasks, such as managing groups and configuring Windows to log in a password-protected account automatically.

Avoiding .NET Passport Accounts

Littered throughout the operating system are various links and tie-ins to Microsoft's .NET online service. It seems as though no matter where you turn, there's another button that suggests that you need to sign up for a .NET "passport" in order to use the feature.

The point is to try to make .NET passports seem as ubiquitous as the My Documents folder, so that customers will feel more comfortable using the service. That way, Microsoft can try to push its MSN online service and much-hyped .NET technology onto other companies, so that soon, any Web site you visit and every program you start will require a .NET passport password.

Fortunately, we haven't reached that stage yet. In fact, the only component in Windows XP that absolutely requires a .NET passport is Windows Messenger. In all other cases, signing up for MSN or .NET is purely optional, despite what the instructions in the dialog may suggest.

Note that this window is the only place you can choose a user's picture, shown in both the login dialog and at the top of the new-style Start Menu (discussed in Chapter 2). The primary User Accounts dialog is also the only place you can choose between the Welcome Screen and the standard Login screen.

User Accounts 2

Some additional settings, discussed later in this chapter, can be changed only with the alternate User Accounts window, which, incidentally, is identical to the one found in Windows 2000. To open the old-style User Accounts dialog, select Run from the Start Menu, type control userpasswords2, and click OK.

The "other" User Accounts dialog can do many things otherwise impossible in the standard User Accounts window.

Like the primary User Accounts window, you can add new users, as well as rename or remove existing accounts. But here, you have more control over a user's permissions and restrictions. You can access accounts that would otherwise be hidden in the User Accounts window, such as the Administrator account and the IUSR account used by the IIS web server.

Use the alternate User Accounts dialog and the Local Users and Groups window with caution, as both allow you to disable all accounts with administrator privileges. If this happens, the computer will be completely inaccessible by any administrator, and you'll probably have to reinstall just to log in.

Local Users and Groups
    The third way to manage user accounts in Windows is to use the Local Users and Groups policy editor (lusrmgr.msc), shown in Figure 8-3. The Local Users and Groups window (LUaG) is actually a Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe) snap-in, like the Disk Management utility , and therefore can be accessed remotely if necessary.

The Local Users and Groups window gives you the most control over user accounts, but at the expense of a rather sparse and intimidating Registry Editor-like interface.

LUaG is where you'll want to do go to manage groups, set the automatic expiration of passwords, and change the location of a user's home directory. Just double-click any entry in the Users or Groups categories to change their properties. Or, right-click in an empty area of the right pane to add a new user or group.

Groups can be useful when you have a bunch of users. For example, say you wish to make a folder accessible to several users (as described later in this chapter); instead of having to specify each one individually, all you would need to do is specify the group. Note that once the group has been set up here, you can use the User Accounts 2 dialog (earlier) to assign new or existing members to that group.

What can be confusing is finding the right place to accomplish a specific task regarding user accounts.

The various places user-account tasks can be performed Task
    User Accounts
    User Accounts 2
    Local Users and Groups

Add groups

Add users

Assign a user to a group

Assign a user to multiple groups

Change a user's description

Change a user's home folder

Change a user's password

Change a user's picture

Choose a logon script

Disable a user or group account

Manage network passwords

Modify groups

Prevent forgotten passwords

Remove almost any user

Remove any user

Rename a user

Require Ctrl-Alt-Del to log on

Set password expiration

Turn off login window

Turn off welcome screen

Use Fast User Switching

View members of groups

For the most part, adding, removing, and modifying user accounts is a fairly self-explanatory process, so I won't go into every excruciating detail here. Here are some tips for working with user accounts:

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and then click Change Password to change your own password. This is the only way to change the password of an account when you're not an administrator.

If you have a lot of users coming and going, use the Local Users and Groups window to have passwords automatically expire. This not only forces users to change their own passwords regularly, but automatically blocks users who haven't logged in a while.

================================================== =========================================
    quoted from

Published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., 1005 Gravenstein Highway North, Sebastopol, CA 95472.

Portions of this book have been previously published as follows:

March 2001: Windows Me Annoyances

October 1998: Windows 98 Annoyances

April 1997: Windows Annoyances

O'Reilly & Associates books may be purchased for educational, business, or sales promotional use. Online editions are also available for most titles ( For more information contact our corporate/institutional sales department: 800-998-9938 or [email protected].
    Last edited by vk7ae; 7th September 2005, 13:03.

please post also the url if present in case of copyright
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

this error show ,u have not assign localy logon rights to guest account.Open Local security Policy and then open Deny logon locally and then remove guest user from the list.It ll work fine.
        Bcoz in windows xp bydefault guest user is not permitted.
        best of luck

Rashad mehmood
        Sr Officer networking
        MTM Faisalabad Pakistan

almost a year after the initiated topic start.
          Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Must be a record, we should run this 2 more days and celebrate the birthday with coffee and cake
            A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)