X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• \windows\system32\config\system

Win XP Pro SP3
    a) error on startup:
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've had this quite a few times in the past and have tried the usual MS fix here.

However, it still gives the error above.
    I rebooted into recovery console and did a chkdsk /r which is what i usually do to fix this issue.
    But it didn't work, still with the error above.
    When i check the directory: c:\windows\system32\config.... the file is there, so i copy a new (system.bak) over from c:\windows\repair\..... it copies the file over fine so i reboot, but still the same error.

b) If i have to reformat then so be it, i can copy all the docs&settings off the hdd (put the hdd into a sata caddy and mounted it onto my pc.
    However, it fails on loads of files due to permissions, even though i took ownership of the whole disk whilst it was mounted on my win7 x64 pc.

Can someone tell me if i can extract his outlook2003 mail account via explorer please? He's desparate to keep his contacts etc.

Thanks for any help offered to both parts of this problem.

Re: \windows\system32\config\system

Personal preference, and possibly belt and braces, but any time I've managed to recover from that error I do a full format and re-install anyway just to be on the safe side. More than once I've had similar issues reoccur very quickly.

If he's using Outlook for email then, assuming it's not an Exchange account, everything will be in a PST file in c:\documents and settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. There may of course be more than one PST file there. Once you took ownership of the files did you change the permissions and check the box for propagating the settings down through the folder tree?
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Go to the web site of your HDD manufacturer and download their testing tools. Run the tools on the HDD as you may have bad sectors developing in the location of where the O/S is installed on the drive.

If this is the case then RMA the HDD if it is still under warranty. If it has bad sectors and is not under warranty, save all your data, Favorites, PST, NK2 file and other stuff you want to save then toss the drive away.

Alternatively pull the unit to pieces and extract the magnets.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hi k.jacko,

1. this might work, to recover the corrupt system files.

From the recovery console, issue the following command: expand D:\i386\filename_ C:\<destination>
        where filename_ signifies the name of the file you want to extract, 'D' signifies the drive letter of the source you are extracting from and<destination> specifies the path of the folder to which you wish to extract the file.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/window...wsrecovery.htm

2. the only way to open the disk under windows using a caddy is to write a new boot record. this is the riskiest maneuver. if you do something wrong it will get rid of all the data for you.

3. cruachan is right:
        format and re-install
        download the ultimate boot cd. its free. boot from cd on the pc with the corrupt drive. use volkov commander to copy outlook's *.pst to an external drive. after a fresh install of xp you'll be able to import the *.pst straight into outlook. hopefully this helps.
        Last edited by sneakerNET; 11th May 2010, 06:53.

Comment

Just a reminder that to legally use products on the ultimate boot CD, you should have the appropriate licenses!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Just a reminder that to legally use products on the ultimate boot CD, you should have the appropriate licenses!
            this is what the developer said about volkov commander on the ultimate boot cd.

Rumours about existing Version 5 of Volkov Commander:
            In the community someone posted about existing VC 5. Here is what Vsevolod answered:[...]
            critiques.
            VC 5.0 is a fake. The last released version is 4.99.08 alpha. [...] I really didn't release new version for very long time. So, development of VC is hold in fact. But I don't exclude possibility of new releases. I have no roadmap and could not promise something."[1] VC 4.99.08 is included within UBCD v3.4, as part of the general FreeDOS base package.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkov_Commander

i don't make stuff up. i do accept constructive criticism.
            Last edited by sneakerNET; 11th May 2010, 18:33.

Comment

Thanks for the advice fellas. I did and extensive test on the drive using WD's Diag software, it found no errors, so i reformatted, using the Recovery disk. Its all back up and running now and all outlook .pst's are back in place.

Many thanks and case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                As it appears that the above comment has been considered "offensive" and "flaming" by one member here, I would like to clarify it.

Anyone who has been a member of these boards for some time will know that it is regularly suggested that UBCD and similar products like HBCD are used in particular situations. I have recommended and used them myself. Given such products contain a multitude of utilities under a mixture of licenses, it is important that the end user takes responsibility for checking the individual utility is being used in accordance with the license (e.g. non-commercial use).

Clearly, as a forum for IT professionals, we are all concerned that our use of software is in accordance with license agreements and understand our responsibility for doing so. Also, these forums have a high reputation in the IT world for our professional behaviour and the moderators and admins take a lot of time to ensure that everything here does not bring the profession into disrepute.

My comment was therefore intended as a reminder (as clearly stated). A brief survey of other posts in these forums will see something similar being posted, not just by myself, whenever boot CDs are mentioned.

If a poster has taken offence at my comment quoted above, I apologise, as they were not intended as a criticism or personal attack, however, for the reasons in this post, I do not withdraw what was said.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossain

Originally posted by sneakerNET View Post
                  this is what the developer said about volkov commander on the ultimate boot cd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkov_Commander

i don't make stuff up. i do accept constructive criticism.
                  What Ossain said has NO relation to what you have quoted from the developer. The fact that this program is free but is on a CD that contains software that requires/may require a licence to use means that running the CD without licences for the other programs means that YOU would be running illegaly software. The illegal software is installed on the UBCD and since you boot from the UBCD you can be running illegal software. Petri IT Knowledgebase cannot in any way condone this, hence the advisor by Osain. How you can read that as a flame I have no idea but here is an example of a flame.

You pinhead, are you that mentally challenged that you don't recognise a flame when you see one as opposed to a kindly reminder by a Moderator that illegal software can be on the CD so mentioned. When god was handing out brains, you thought he said trains and asked for a windup one.

That is an example of a flame. Not a very good one as I have to rush off and prepare dinner.

As for you sneakerNET, abusive posts or PMs to Moderators shall NOT be tolerated on this site. All Moderators and Members donate their time willingly and freely to help others here, just like you tried too, but do not respond with such viterole when reminded about the legality of software on certain utility CDs that are available online. In this case you DO make stuff up.

You are getting a 2 week ban for insulting language. I would suggest not responding to this thread once your ban has expired.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Wow!
                    I was just about to say i couldn't see his post as a flame, but if he PM'd a mod and ranted then fair enough.

Can i just ask though, if UBCD does contain software where some licences may be questionable how come its easily available on the web without anyone trying to block/ban/close it down?

I've never used it myself, and as I.T. support for my company i have to try and conform to licencing laws.....but some EULAs are just so ridiculous that you could spend your life checking up on them.

Comment

how come its easily available on the web without anyone trying to block/ban/close it down?
                      I suppose the same reason most MS products are available on the web without the small issue of payment -- if MS cannot close sites down, what chance have smaller producers.

TBH, UBCD is a lot more freeware oriented than some competitors, so less pressure to remove it, but a lot of freeware is labelled as free for "non commercial use only"

And apart from spending a lifetime reading EULAs , the obvious starting point is the author's web site where it normally spells it our clearly.
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

the definative, on the use of the "Ultimate Boot CD"
                        the reader can get end user forum or community support, if need be.
                        in order to find out about changes in software read the publishers read-me files and manuals.
                        disclaimer: the writer of the article is not considered the end-user.
                        contact the software publisher to find out if "any" of the programs on the cd, should be used without licensing.

The Ultimate Guide to Hard Drive Partitioning : by Daniel Petri - March 11, 2009

http://www.petri.com/the-ultimate-gu...rtitioning.htm

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        The fact that this program is free but is on a CD that contains software that requires/may require a licence to use means that running the CD without licences for the other programs means that YOU would be running illegaly software. The illegal software is installed on the UBCD and since you boot from the UBCD you can be running illegal software. Petri IT Knowledgebase cannot in any way condone this......
                        so you're saying you made your readers aware after reading "The Ultimate Guide to Hard Drive Partitioning".

thank you daniel and the rest of your contibutiors. i've always enjoyed your site.
                        Last edited by sneakerNETv2; 12th May 2010, 21:49.

Comment

sneakerNETv2, this account has been banned for life. You cannot create a new account to bypass the 2 week ban for using insulting and abusive language in a PM to a Moderator.

The fact that Daniel reviews software that is on the UBCD has got nothing to do with the advisory issued by Ossain. Since it seems you are very new to IT (this is based on your naivety re the UBCD ), so I shall be patient and try and add to your education.

The UBCD can be downloaded from links supplied by the creator of the UBCD. However, there are others who obtain a copy of UBCD and install software onto the original CD that requires a licence to use it and this modified copy with "illegal software" which is still called the UBCD, is uploaded onto the Net and is made available for others to use illegally.

See you in 2 weeks. You ban will be extended by an extra day to nulify your attempt at bypassing it by creating a second account, which is a Rule violation of this site and attracts an infraction.

This is k.jacko's thread, could it now get back ON TOPIC. Any further diversion shall result in the thread locked and a new one created for k.jacko's question.

Thank you.
                          Last edited by biggles77; 13th May 2010, 01:25.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm closing this tread before it's getting out of control.
                            The intentions from my fellow mods are IMHO clear. If a program needs a license, even when it's combined with an other free product, it still needs to be bought.

k.jacko, I hope you understand this and if you have any questions, just let me know.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                            X