Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distinct group policy

Hi,

I have two win xp sp2 system. when i am seeing group policy by gpedit.msc then both showing distinct configuration as i am giving below:

1st one: user configuration/administrative Templates

In administrative templates it is showing tabs Window components, Start Menu and Taskbar, Desktop, Control Panel, shared Folder, Network, System

2nd one: user configuration/administrative Templates

It is showing only windows component tab.

so, Can you let me know why is it so ? i tried to find out from google but didn't get reason.

Re: distinct group policy

Are you editing the local policy or a group policy?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i am looking to edit group policy by gpedit.msc . becuase i want prohibit user to change TCP/IP configuration(DNS setting).

Thnkx for your prompt reply Mr. Ossian

Comment

If you run gpedit.msc on a windows XP box, you will edit LOCAL policy -- which only shows some of the settings in the active directoy GROUP policies

You will need to go to a domain controller and run group policy management (in admin tools) then choose a policy to edit that will be applied to your client PCs
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is this the same issue as your earlier thread entitled tcp/ip?
          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=45430
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

I know by domain controller group policy i can apply policy on both system with little bit effort.
            but adversity is that both are not a member of domain controller and i dont want to infuse on domain controller.

And this is little bit same issue but in this i also want to know why gpedit.msc policy are distinct as i have mentioned in this post.

Comment

If a PC is not a domain member, you have access to a limited set of policy options. If it isn't there, you cannot edit it.

You could try finding the appropriate registry settings and having scripts that modify them directly.

Why can't you join these machines to the domain?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

But my question is that both system are not a membeship of domain controller and if i consider you reply then why it is showing all setting on one machine ?

Comment

Working...
                X