Networking suddenly lost & multiple other issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking suddenly lost & multiple other issues

I've had near simultaneous reports from 4 of my clients that XP Pro (SP3) machines have lost networking
    Issues so far:
    Network Connections folder is empty
    Extended view of services is empty but standard view is not
    Cannot view properties of any service
    Many services with automatic start are not started and will not start (errors for dependency services

Thoughts are
    a) recent Windows update but at least one machine hasnt updated for 9 days and only exhibited problem this morning
    b) Virus -- but McAfee VSE 8.7 reports updating successfully yesterday and scan appears clear so far
    c) AV update has broken something

Will report more as I find it out, but this appears to be a very nasty bug they've caught!
    Suggestions gratefully appreciated

EDIT
    Looks as if it may be C -- McAfee admit to a major cockup!
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/5958_false.htm
    Last edited by Ossian; 22nd April 2010, 13:52.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Networking suddenly lost & multiple other issues

Sounds nasty. I do remember a similar issue some years ago when they placed a none english update on their english update server god knows how many clients where affected but it gave me a headach for a week!
    Good luck with it.
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

oh Snap.
      Not just you

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...0422-teif.html

And i just love the edit who posted the comments "as if you'd use mcafee, free antivirus is so much better"
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The mcafee fix worked for me -- follow Solution 1 in the link above

The only thing to add is that putting the updates on a USB stick was a bad idea as the PCs could not detect it until booted in safe mode -- the same on CD was picked up straight away

Have to say this is a disappointment - McAfee have been good for me for the last few years, but I may have to re-evaluate that
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X