Cannot add Windows XP to Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot add Windows XP to Domain

I am trying to add a Windows XP workstation to a domain that I have created in Windows Server 2003. All seems well on the Server side. I followed instructions found on the Petri site and checked everything. But I'm having trouble adding the workstation to the domain.

I am using virtual machines. Is this the problem? I shouldn't think it is.

Any suggestions? I've had a search in the forums before I started to write this but the solutions given haven't worked for me.

Re: Cannot add Windows XP to Domain

What errors do you get?
    Possible causes:
    Networking -- the VM cannot find a DC to talk to -- you need to check from both the server and the XP client
    Users -- a non admin user can only join 10 clients to the domain (unless changed in GP)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is the server DNS pointing to itself ?
      Have you tried connecting a non virtual machine ?

Comment

@ossian I think that there is a networking problem but i can't fix it. The error message I get is "a domain controller for the domain could not be contacted"
        Then I expand the Details and it gives me this:
        "Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain anteallach.com:

The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
        (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anteallach.com

The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.

For more information on how to correct this problem, click Help."

@ashadow How do I check if it's pointing to itself?

Comment

On both the Virtual PC and the Domain Controller, run a command prompt and do "IPCONFIG/ALL"
          Post the results of both here
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

[IMG]file:///Users/djreyes/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/djreyes/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]Here's the Details for the DC

Here's the details for WinXP

Comment

Looks as if your very restrictive mask puts them into 2 separate subnets
              Check here http://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=B but the
              .101 address is in a subnet from .96 to .103 while the .105 address is in a subnet from .104 to .111
              If you change the mask on both to 255.255.255.240 they should see each other
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Thanks very much that has done the trick.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted!
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X