Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

user profile corrupt in Windows XP and Vista leaving "user" and using "user.DOMAIN"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user profile corrupt in Windows XP and Vista leaving "user" and using "user.DOMAIN"

Hi All,

I'm having weird issue with some of my user Windows XP and some of them using Vista that they seems to lost their personal profile in their workstation
    the reason previously was the user taking too long in the "Applying computer settings..." therefore I manage to

1. login using local admin (offline) and then disable all of the startup items using MSCONFIG.
    2. reset the AD domain passsword
    3. the user login into the AD domain.

and we were surprised that all of the settings are all gone ? back to the default (including outlook 2007 start to download the email from server again).

and then when i look into the C:\Document and Settings i found out that there are two directories

user --> was more than 300 MB
    user.DOMAIN --> newly setup so the size only 13 MB+

how can i go back to the old profile ?
    none of the user is using roaming profile.

Note:
    single domain only.
    Domain functionality: Windows 2000 Native
    DC: Windows Server 2003 Std. x64 R2 SP2

Thanks,
    AWT

Re: user profile corrupt in Windows XP and Vista leaving "user" and using "user.DOMAI

Was the original, (local machine) username the same as the domain user name? We have that in our environment, local profile = username, and domain profile = username.domain

We use profwiz to migrate the local profile to the domain profile, so the user retains all files and settings. You might be able to use this in your situation as well.

Comment

Working...
    X