Move user profile from one domain to another

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move user profile from one domain to another

hi, how to move a user profile from one domain to another? Workstation is using XP OS. What's the right tool to do this. Thank you.

Re: Move user profile from one domain to another

Probably (for small numbers of users) use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    For large numbers, use USMT (which will, IIRC, require a domain trust)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply for USMT, do i need to run it in client workstation or from the server? sorry never use USMT before.. thanks..

Comment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...32(WS.10).aspx
        (among a large number of other hits )

Review all the requirements as this is a domain level tool that has a fair amount of preliminary set up needed

How many users are you needing to migrate?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i'll be migrating 20 users...so i do need to establish a trust from the server to workstation so i can use this tool right? thanks...

Comment

Personally (and others will disagree) I suggest for 20 users you stick with the tried and trusted manual method:
            On the computer in the old domain, run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, directing the output to a network share or removable drive
            Copy the share to the new domain
            Join the computer to the new domain
            Log on with the new user account then run FSTW again, acquiring data from the (new domain) share or plugging in the drive

Yes, its labour intensive, but your users could (with simple instructions) do both sides of it.

IMHO, the work to set up USMT will be far greater than the effort this takes
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by JJJCR View Post
              hi, thanks for the reply for USMT, do i need to run it in client workstation or from the server? sorry never use USMT before.. thanks..
              It depends on what types of profiles you have. If you have local profiles and you need to migrate the user data then it needs to be run on the workstation where those are stored. If you have centrilised profiles (Roaming, Mandatory) then as Ossian suggested just copy the data across manually.

USMT has go two main functions as you have notice, Scanstate and Scanload.
              The first one scans for user data in the source machine and stores them either in a share or external USB device. And the scanload function restores that data in the target machine.
              The command CLI interface of USMT puts a lot of people off (inc myself) but it's nonetheless a great tool to use. Even better there is a GUI wrapper available: http://dcunningham.net/sysadmin-tool...ion-assistant/
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

hi guys, thanks for all the help..i just use the FSTW. so far it works fine..

Comment

Working...
                X