Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User can not print PDF files (local printer)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User can not print PDF files (local printer)

Windows 2000 Domain.
    Local printer - HP Deskjet 1018 with USB port - installed & shared on a domain user workstation - 2010 Lenovo with Windows XP SP3.
    Problems:
    1. Whenever anybody (except for administrator) tried to print remotely, print job stuck in printer queue, blocking the printer. No error messages, it just sits there forever.
    2. Cleared out queue, printing OK for the local user.
    3. Domain Admin can print over network, no problem. Joined remote user to admin group. No go. Played around with user's rights, made a remote user owner of the printer, full rights etc. If I knew how to make him God, I would. Nothing worked.
    4. Uninstalled/reinstalled driver, works for a while, then it does not.
    After a lot of googling, removed "print monitor" part of the HP driver (registry).
    HP response: "This is a Windows problem" and "This is not a network printer".
    5. Printer works. Locally and remotely. As long as the local user does not attempt to print PDF file. Printer queue clogged up again. No, she is not printing image. PDF file set to "text".
    Same PDF file prints just fine on a remote printer. Same user.
    6. Advised user not to print PDF files on a printer hooked up to her computer...
    7. Any other user logging onto her workstation prints PDF's with no trouble.
    BTW, re-created her account (several times).
    Supernatural.
    I have been in business since they started making VIC 20. Never seen anything like that.
    Lazarus.

Re: User can not print PDF files (local printer)

Definitely not a hardware issue
    Moved to Windows XP forum for better response
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How are you connecting the printer to the Remote Workstation/User? Standard TCP/IP Port or have you added the the printer locally and then mapped to the machine printer is physically attached to? (I have had issues with the DOT4 USB port the HP installations create)
      Are all the workstations XP SP3 machines?
      Get a $20 USB Print Server and set it up as a network printer.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        How are you connecting the printer to the Remote Workstation/User? Standard TCP/IP Port or have you added the the printer locally and then mapped to the machine printer is physically attached to? (I have had issues with the DOT4 USB port the HP installations create)
        Are all the workstations XP SP3 machines?
        Get a $20 USB Print Server and set it up as a network printer.
        Shared printer through printers registered in AD. When jobs stuck in printer queue, shared through going to workstation (in AD). That worked for a day or two. After that, queue problems again.
        Some workstations are XP SP2, some XP SP3. The one with the printer attached is XP SP3. That is the one that can not print PDF.
        The most frustrating part is there are no error messages. Print job just sits in the queue forever.
        Lazarus

Comment

Working...
        X