Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking up system Model

Hello Everyone,

I have a user which is using a Hp compaq Micro tower Computer. The vendor that supplied us this computer removed the stickers of the model number from the cabinet. The model number from the Bios settings has also been erased. I tried dxdiag from command prompt but it also does not show the model number. Insted i get a blank space in place of model number. How can I find out the model number of this system.

Re: Looking up system Model

you could look for markings inside the case, on the mainboard maybe ?

or just ask the vendor...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Try SIW:

http://www.gtopala.com/

Comment

And also, never buy from that vendor again. That sounds rather shady if you ask me. At the very least, it sounds like poor business practice to keep a customer in the dark about what they have. You might even want to ask them why they did it in case there's a valid reason that Is escaping us all. And if no valid reason is presented, I'd tell them why I'm severing business ties with them so they know it's not an appreciated practice.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Now we don't have any business ties with that vendor. This system was purchased way back even before me joining this company. I tried contacting the vendor but He was nowhere to be found.

I did a clean XP installation on the machine and "whoosh" the model name appeared in the dxdiag utility. It was DSDT_PRJ. Thanks to Hp this model make is only displayed if a motherboard on the system is replaced. As a solution to my problem I figured out the motherboard make, N/w card, sound and video Make and downloaded the drivers for them from the web.

Thanks Joeqwerty for SIW. I was using some other softwares like SIsandra but SIW seems to do a good job.

Thanks all. my problem has been solved.
          Last edited by freakinup4u; 9th March 2010, 06:53. Reason: extra content addition

Comment

Thanks for the update Freak, it is appreciated and good job finding the info you were after.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by freakinup4u View Post
              I did a clean XP installation on the machine and "whoosh" the model name appeared in the dxdiag utility. It was DSDT_PRJ.
              Truly odd. I wonder if the original vendor scrubbed that info for some strange reason.
              Thanks to Hp this model make is only displayed if a motherboard on the system is replaced.
              Wha... things just keep getting weirder and weirder.
              Thanks Joeqwerty for SIW. I was using some other softwares like SIsandra but SIW seems to do a good job.
              Oooo... that looks cool. I'll have to squirrel that away in the corner of my mind for future reference.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I did a clean XP installation on the machine and "whoosh" the model name appeared in the dxdiag utility. It was DSDT_PRJ. Thanks to Hp this model make is only displayed if a motherboard on the system is replaced. As a solution to my problem I figured out the motherboard make, N/w card, sound and video Make and downloaded the drivers for them from the web.
                For info only, I think the dxdiag and especially msinfo32 (Where i think dxdiag gets that part of info from) get their information from a file called oeminfo.ini which is in the system32 folder. That can be modified by manifacturers and users, see here for more: http://www.petri.com/change_or_add_o...nformation.htm

Just wondering how the model reappeared after Mobo change and OS reinstall.
                Did you use OEM disk to reinstall XP?
                I doubt that type of mobo is only used for that model, if OEMinfo.ini had to get the values from the BIOS!
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide
                  Truly odd. I wonder if the original vendor scrubbed that info for some strange reason.
                  Maybe ex CIA, NSA, FBI, DOD etc machines.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You could hav also Used Lavalys Everest software to know abt the model , motherboard and other hardware info in tht computer.... and to tell... there is some spooky thing in your laptop bcuz if the vendor has erased the model number, make sure he has given the same requirement which u asked.... bcuz i had a customer who had been fooled by a vendor who gave a p4 pin processor desktop which used to show core 2 duo even in bios , my computer properties, and even in third party software......
                    Last edited by biggles77; 10th March 2010, 14:32. Reason: Remove excessive font size

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                      Just wondering how the model reappeared after Mobo change and OS reinstall.
                      Did you use OEM disk to reinstall XP?
                      Basically, I did a clean installation of xp with the normal xp disk. Moreover I was looking out for a brute force attack of system drivers but amzingly I was able to solve the problem on a single go.

Thanks a lot. Keep the good work going please

Comment

Working...
                      X