Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sysprepped xp loop restart

Hello,
    I am using WDS (Windows Deployment services) for capturing and deploying xp images for couple of company models. It works great.
    xml and sysprep files are on WDS. Image installation is completely unattended.
    I have an issue with the image taken from a laptop. As known, WDS can capture an image only from sysprepped machine. So I run an appropriate sysprep for XP SP3. The capture completed successfully. But when push the imagem after Windows logo and mini-setup screen computer constantly restarts.

I don't think that it is related to WDS server because the source laptop which I sysprepped and restarted after capture did exactly the same.
    I push the image to the same laptop model. So it is nothing to do with Hardware.

May be somebody has similar issue after sysprep.

Thx.
    Michael.
    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: sysprepped xp loop restart

Moved to client OS forum
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Had the same thing yesterday with a Windows 7 laptop. If the captured image has the same error then I'd reckon it's a bad sysprep that caused the problem. I did a repair install on the source machine and then deleted the image and recaptured it in WDS and all was fine.

Sysprep shouldn't do this, at least not unless you've sysprepped the same disk 3 or more times, but I've seen it happen more than once.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The machine was sysprepped once...
        So, you blame sysprep itself.
        Before sysprep I created Acronis image of the laptop.
        So following your experience I will download "fresh" deploy.cab from MS.
        I wish it will be just that
        I will post the result.

Thanks.
        "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Sysprep is quite destructive, and strips out drivers, so that is a possible cause. Also if you are using an OEM OS on a new machine straight from the factory there is always the possibility that the machine has already been sysprepped in the factory prior to being shipped out.
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

good point.
            But I don't use OEM installation. I used VLK.
            I think I found a problem. Laptop comes with VISTA preinstalled and SATA is enabled in BIOS. To make it work SATA driver was installed for XP.
            I tried to use new sysprep but no luck...
            After all I decided to load image from WDS made for another HP machine (Desktop). It is the same Core 2 DUO processor. I perfectly installed the image to the laptop but sure, bunch of drivers are undetected. The tech will adjust all drivers and programs and I will try to capture the image with IDE driver and leave the bios settings for IDE.

Comment

Just offering a suggestion, I reckon the Windows 7 system I had the issue with was due to it being OEM and fresh from the factory. If it was up to me I'd have flattened it first given the predilections of most OEMs to bundle unwanted crap into their systems.

SATA/AHCI drivers shouldn't be an issue to be honest. For the same customer I setup some XP Pro images and I found that if an image was captured to WDS with SATA/AHCI turned on then it would install OK back to systems also with SATA/AHCI enabled. The converse was true as well: images from machines set to ATA mode worked fine with other machines also set to ATA.

If possible though, and if you aren't already, I'd use a Windows 7 rather than a Vista boot image and capture image. I had so many driver issues with Vista WIM files that I got really familiar with ImageX. Forgotten it all now as I haven't had a single driver issue (touch wood!) with Windows 7 and WDS.

Edit: Just had a thought. If you have a chance you could recapture the original image but before sysprepping disable auto-restart on error. That way you should be able to see what the stop code is. If it's 0x0000007B Unmountable Boot Volume then it's the AHCI driver (or lack of) that's causing the issue. I've never understood why auto-restart is turned on by default, it's pointless seeing a flash of blue but not knowing what caused it. Rant over!
              Last edited by cruachan; 15th February 2010, 20:42.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

;If possible though, and if you aren't already, I'd use a Windows 7 rather than a Vista boot image and capture image. I had so many driver issues with Vista WIM files that I got really familiar with ImageX. Forgotten it all now as I haven't had a single driver issue (touch wood!) with Windows 7 and WDS.

I deployed WDS a year ago. It works fine. I had an issue with one model...
                May be you remember you actively helped me with some questions. Thanks.

You say to use W7 instead VISTA... How you did it?
                I still don't blame WDS of causing loop reboot of imaged laptop. But everything is possible. After I used new sysprep a sysprepped laptop after reboot worked OK at least didn't reboot in loop. It asked time zone and etc (sysprep.ini was empty).
                I was sure it will work after new sysprep... Yes Bios is SATA/AHCI and the image was captured from working installation.

Comment

Does sound like a bad sysprep then, like I said it shouldn't happen but it does.

I replaced my Vista boot.wim and it's associated capture WIM with Windows 7 files as soon as it came out. Although XP doesn't directly use the WIM format with WDS it does require the boot and capture images to be there, and as I've found Windows 7 to have much better driver support out the box it cut out a few issues I'd had previously, mainly with NIC drivers.

Glad to help, it took me a lot of hours on google and technet to get all the answers I needed when I first setup WDS. So much so that I wrote a guide document for the rest of the guys in my company that we still regularly refer to.
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X