.php files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .php files

I downloaded what was supposed to be a pdf file to my Desktop, but---to my surprise---it appeared on the Desktop as a .php file! It opens in notepad as gibberish. I don't know what kind of app is supposed to open a .php file. I wrote the company/website. Basically, they didn't believe me......They said the download link was a pdf file, and that it couldn't download as a .php file---unless perhaps my computer was doing something to convert it....The only other times this happens to me is sometimes when I try to grab a video from the internet---instead of downloading as a .flv file, I got a .php file. Anyone konw what the story is here? Don't care about the video grabbing problem just now--more curious about why this would happen with a pdf download....

Thanks,
    J.

Re: .php files

Have you tried changing the extension to PDF and seeing if it opens in Adobe?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response!

Interesting suggestion....Yes, it worked! What's the story here? Why did it appear as a .php file? What [I]is[I] a php file and what type of program opens it?

Maqny thanks,
      Janet

Comment

PHP is a particular type of web page, typically one generated from a database or involving user input, so it sounds as if the site it not working quite right when it creates the link to the PDF and just gives it as the source php page.

When you download the file, does the "save as" dialog give you a chance to see the file extension and check it IS pdf?

Anyway, glad you got it working!
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It was a Download button which you click on like when downloading a program. It brings up the box that shows you would be downloading "download.php", and this is also the name that appeared in the file title field of the Save to dialogue. I went back to try it again and found that this is what happens when you let the download run automatically. If it doesn't come up for you "in five seconds", you can click a "download manually" link. I tried that and it does bring up the pdf file for download with its proper name....!

Comment

OK, so a lousy web site!
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I sent them my 'findings' and suggested that they might like to check out their automatic download link.........

Thanks for all your help!

J.

Comment

Working...
              X