No announcement yet.

Network provider Tab missing (Fixed)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network provider Tab missing (Fixed)

I'm posting this here part because i can't find any info on what HGFS is and in case someone comes across the same issue as myself.

PC - DC 7900 C2D Win XP sp3 patched to the latest. After pushing down the image on the PC and re-installing IBM iSeries client for windows, i wanted to change the network provider order to push down the Client Access Network and bump up M$ Windows Network.

Go to network adapter, click advanced then advanced settings. No provider order. Huh? I figured, although i knew this was far fetched, maybe the provider order shows up after i join the PC to the domain. So i do that. Still no dice. Pull out the trusty google and find out where the registry entry for the provider order is "HKLM>System>CurrentControlSet>Control>NetworkProv ider>Order". The key is simply called "ProviderOrder". I check it out and see the following for value data:

Quick search on everything i see in here and find out that hgfs is out of place. Remove that and voila, provider order tab is back. Reboot the pc just to make sure it wasn't going to melt and still good.

Now, researching what exactly HGFS does/is. Can't find a solid answer but it is apparently from VMWare and more importantly "VMWare HGFS Provider". Still have no idea what that means. Searching on the VMware site, still yields no real layman's results. Is anyone here familiar with this thing at all? Any help is appreciated.