XP Repair install - Final answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Repair install - Final answer

I repair computers for a living and have never had an answer for a few questions. At times I attempt a repair install. Some don't have their original disks or never made their install disks;

Repair install
    1. If a computer won't boot, how do you know what version and service pack are on the computer?
    2. Sometimes when attempting a repair install, the option doesn't show; I assume you have to match home-home / Pro - pro AND you have to have the same service pack level, or remove the service packs through repair console BUT; Do you have to have a OEM version fo that disk ( HP- HP, dell-dell, acer-acer)?
    3. Anyone have dos utility that removes service packs? If I need a oem disk for each computer I have to have sp2 and sp3 for each mfg for home and pro. That's 6 disks per manufacturer!
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: XP Repair install - Final answer

1. Old Windows versions used to give a clue by the Date and time Stamp. Don't know if it is works.
    2. Have had the same thing and that was WITH matching install CD. This may be due to corruption somewhere in the O/S. If I ever get this, it is backup data and wipe the HDD for a clean install.
    3. How can this be done when the SP is integrated into the O/S? It is difficult enough to try when you have a working O/S. Again, a clean install just to save time and get it working correctly.

You can cut the disk numbers down by using nLite to slipstream SP3 into each manufacturers OEM version.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: XP Repair install - Final answer

I'm with you on the clean install. Something I prefer, but Between customers NOT having their Install disk, 10G of music and pics (only problem is time copying off) and No drivers disk (Time + the correct version) I would like to attempt a repair.

There is another question. I've done a "windows repair install" (where you act like your going to install an it asks if you like to do a repair install) I have about 12 different versions of windows home/pro & oem etc. and have never found the BEST way to match and see if this disk is going to match the system. It doesn't always give you the option to repair.
      I know if I have a dell, I use the Dell oem disk. There was a folder I looked for to see if it was a Pro or home version (can't remember) That always doesn't work either.
      I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
      Chris Robertson
      The Computer Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X