No announcement yet.

RDP Issues? Remedy Inside

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP Issues? Remedy Inside

Came across quite a unique little issue this morning on a clients machine.

Tried to RDP to a terminal server after completing selected windows updates, told me that the Protocol was mismatched and that the session would be disconnected.

I narrowed this down, thanks to a link to an MS Bulletin (will post said link once i find it again), to a Hotifx that was installed as a standalone update for the Remote Desktop Client.

After removing the Hotfix, is when the issues started to occur. After a reboot and a registry backup and cleanse, i proceeded to try and connect to the terminal server once again, this time the following issue occured.

The System Cannot Find the Specified File:
    C:\Windows\System32\<lang name>\mstsc.exe.mui
    I had a search around the internet and found that there was no distinct workaround, one thread even went to the point of a fresh re-install of XP - updates and all - which i thought was a little drastic.

I did however come across a thread on the Microsoft forums that gave me the idea of a workaround, in the end i came up with:

Step 1:

Reboot the machine into safe mode by pressing F8 before the Windows Splash screen.

Step 2:

In a command prompt type the following:

copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstsc.chm c:\windows\Help\mstsc.chm copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstsc.exe c:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstsc.exe c:\windows\system32\dllcache\mstsc.exe copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstsc.mui c:\windows\system32\en-US\mstsc.exe.mui copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstscx.dll c:\windows\system32\mstscax.dll copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstscx.dll c:\windows\system32\dllcache\mstscax.dll copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lhmstscx.mui c:\windows\system32\en-US\mstscax.dll.mui

I thought that this may be a good idea to post up, as alot of system administrators in the local area are complaining of the issue.

If you have any questions, post em up.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere out there.

Re: RDP Issues? Remedy Inside

Thanks for posting.

It will hopefully help others who have the same issue.