Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove Windows XP OS and go back to having Windows XP Home OS with having double OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove Windows XP OS and go back to having Windows XP Home OS with having double OS

I have two OS systems at startup. I want to remove XP Professional OS and want to use original Windows XP Home edition OS. Everytime i restart i have to choose which one..i choose home because if i use professional its says error and wont load so i manually have to shut down computer and restart then hit microsoft xp home... i have a netbook so i dont have a external cd rom or OS disk....thank you

Re: Remove Windows XP OS and go back to having Windows XP Home OS with having double

Does your hard drive have a section of it that was dedicated to that XP Professional installation? Check in disk management to see if you have multiple volumes on one disk. Right click "My Computer" and select "Manage". In the window that pops up, one of the options on the left will be "Disk Management". Select it and inspect the available disks and partitions. One of them will be what your system is on (Drive C: will be on that disk). See if any other partitions are on that disk. If so, and if you're certain there is nothing on the XP Pro side that you want, you can format it and then recreate a volume. It will then be accessible as extra space from within XP Home. It will probably be given a drive letter like E:.

To remove the selection for XP Home or Pro at startup, right-click "My Computer", select "Properties", go to the "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Edit" button and then find the line that has the path to the XP Professional installation. Delete that whole line. For example:
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    That should do it!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Re: Remove Windows XP OS and go back to having Windows XP Home OS with having double

Nothing to do with Office
      Moved to Client OS forum for better response
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X