Standard Domain Users & Auto Updating Apps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard Domain Users & Auto Updating Apps

We have a 2003 domain and xp pro workstations.

We also have several apps that try to automatically update & patch themselves. This patching doesn't work when logged in as a standard domain user.

My question is, how do most people handle applications that try to update themselves?

Do you just put "domain users" group into the local admin group? That doesn't seem quite right.

Do you see success when granting Full Control to the application's NTFS directory, and Full Control to the HKLM registry branch?

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Standard Domain Users & Auto Updating Apps

What about SCCM or WSUS or something like that?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I do a custom install of Java and Adobe reader and tell them that no, you WILL NOT UPDATE YOURSELF THRICE DAILY.

Apps that change frequently I prefer to install via GPO and apply an upgrade when the new version comes out. Adobe has the option to request an MSI package if you register with them, I'd imagine most bits of software now also have this option. Haven't checked on Java yet.

Under no circumstances would I allow a user admin rights, unless you like your desktops having multiple browsers, multiple browser toolbars, iTunes, viruses and malware.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for your posts so far.

We have third party apps, so WSUS etc. isn’t an option for them. Also, these are line of business apps that do actually need the updates, and there’s no easy way to turn them off. GPO objects are a good idea, but for our situation I'd much rather find a way for the apps to update themselves automatically.

Auto updating apps are fairly common. How does everyone else handle them?
        Last edited by multiplexed; 22nd December 2009, 20:18.

Comment

Working...
        X