Log on Windows XP Home Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log on Windows XP Home Edition

Good day all. Recently I used Avast anti virus to clean up my Thinkpad 600e and removed a number of viruses.I only used the laptop as a backup and never has an antivirus programme on it.When the scan had finished the laptop rebooted and after the XP screen, up came the windows log in box. In the user name box was my name but in the password box nothing.In other words it wants a password which I do not know.Indeed I cant remeber if I ever put in a password.(there are no passwords in the bios settings) Is there anyway I can find out the password??If I dont put in a password and press ok I get the message "Loading your personel settings"
    Then I get my background picture and log in music but after that I get the box stating "logging off"with the music and then a box stating "saving your settings" then the screen goes black as if its powered of.Then up comes the "Log on to Windows" box.IE back to the start.
    Any help in getting me back on to windows would be much appreciated.
    Kind regards
    306james

Re: Log on Windows XP Home Edition

Try Administrator and no password
    But from your description it accepts your username and then logs you straight off -- a good symptom of a virus
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Many thanks for your reply.I did as you suggested, but got the message in the logon message box "Unable to log you on because of an account restiction"
      of course as I cant log on I can't run another virus scan.
      Any other suggestions?
      306James

Comment

Can you boot into safe mode (F8 just after the bios boot and before the XP logo appears)?
        If so, try the username / passwords above -- administrator should be unlocked

Run AV from there
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Many thanks.Managed to get into the Windows advanced options menu and choose Safe Mode.

Then it asked me "Please select the OS to start".The only option there was is "MS Windows XP Home edition".Having selected this I got a blue screen with the following." A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down too prevent damage to your computer.It then asked me to restart which I did and this screen appeared again.Telling me to check for virues.Remove any new hard drives or controllers.Check your hard drive to make sure it's properly configured and terminated.Run CHKDSk/F to check for hard disc corruption and then restart.Of course I can't do these things if I can't in.
          Technical Info
          *** STOP 0X0000007B (0XFEEEF640, 0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)
          Any further suggestion?
          Many thanks
          306james
          PS.Since its mentioning the Hard drive I should point out that after the Avast virus scan and reboot I looked up a number of passwords and put them in.These did not help and I think I locked the hard drive in that I only had the IBM Thinkpad logo on the screen and nothing else was happening.
          I managed to unlock it by detaching the COMS battery for 30mins .Then reattached and rebooted and it would appear that I unlocked the HD.

Comment

I think you should look at recovering your data by mounting your Hard Drive as a secondary on another PC, then reinstalling Windows!
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Many thanks.I did try to reinstall Windows using the XP disc but during the installation I got the message "This computer does not have enought memory to run Windows Xp.This version requires 64 MB of ram.Set up cannot continue To quit Setup, press F3".
              I dont understand that as I was running XP ok before this latest problem.There is 250mb of ram in the computer.Shoulds I try Windows 98se disc first and then XP??
              Please adviuse.Many thanks
              306James

Comment

Hi Again Quick update.I reinstalled my memory chips and it started to work ie reinstalled Windows xp successfully.Many thanks for all your help,Excellent service.Have a very happy XMAS and of course coming from Scotland A very special New Year.
                Bye for now
                306James

Comment

Thanks, 306James -- and a very merry Christmas and Happy Hogmanay to you too!
                  Glad you got it sorted.
                  For what its worth, if you dont already make backups of your data, consider doing so on a regular basis to ensure you can take further problems in your stride!
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X