help urgent please !!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help urgent please !!!!

I have a laptop with windows ME. I have a password that needs to be typed as soon as i turn my computer on (ie before even starting windows). I am not sure what's the name of this password, maybe startup password or something like that.

So my problem is my password contains a the letter (t) which went dead today. I press "t" and nothing shows up, thus i cannot access my files.

So i am placing an order for a new laptop keyboard, but in the meantime i need to access some files really urgently. I would greatly appreciate if anybody here has a way to overcome the password requirement or something along these lines.

thanks

Edited for smaller font size.
    Dumber
    Last edited by Dumber; 15th August 2005, 13:21.

Ok firstly a better subject title in future will help get a better response.

It sounds like you have a BIOS password setup. You can:

1) Open the computer up, find the BIOS reset jumper and reset the BIOS that was, which will remove the BIOS and set the computer back to factory defaults (everything on the harddrive will remain as was, including the OS).

2) Open the computer, take out the hard drive and put it in another PC. Then try to get the files off it you need that way.

3) Ask a friend if you can borrow their keyboard and use the working letter T on that. Most external keyboards will work when plugged into a laptop.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just re read your post and saw you have a laptop, meaning 1 & 2 are relatively out of the question. 3 is the most viable.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

1. Plug a normal keyboard into your laptop. When asked for the password, type it.

2. Haven't tried this on a laptop so I can't say if it will work or not. Enable the number key. Hold down the ALT key and press 084 for T or ALT 116 for t.

1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: help urgent please !!!!

i might Late, but u can remove your laptop HDD and connect to pc with the help of usb hard disk casing

Comment

Re: help urgent please !!!!

You would need a case that supports 2.5" hard drives. You can get a 2.5" to 3.5" converter and then install the hard drive into a desktop PC.

Or use the same converter to install in a 3.5" USB / Firewire hard drive case... not sure if it will still work.

PLUS: Why didnt you try the external keyboard into the laptops keyboard socket?????
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X