Run as and Logging in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run as and Logging in

New to AD and admin / user rules. My problem is with file associations/folder options. If i use the "run as" command and pull up filetypes, new, delete, change are all greyed out (i'm a domain admin) but if i make the user an admin (log out and back in) those options are available.

can someone shed some light on this, kind of a big problem for our company.

Re: Run as and Logging in

Maybe it is the medication I am presently taking but I do not understand (or fully understand) what you are trying to convey.

Where are these files you are unable to access due to being greyed out? On the Server or te workstation?
    If on the Server, have you assigned any Groups to the SHARE (I am assuming you have a SHARE that the files are in)?

Please provide a more descriptive picture of the problem. Also include screenshots if it will help (Use ALT + Prt Scn to capture the active windows and save the images as JPG before uploading them to this site. Ta.)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sounds like domain admins aren't local admins.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, this is on the workstation. the domain admin is in the local admin group.

file types, (open explorer, tools, folder options...file types tab)

everything is listed but the buttons to add a new type or delete or change are greyed out

Comment

Check if the Inherit the permission option is ticked. It usually happens that when this option is ticket, then you won't be able to modify the permission on the folder.
          To check this, go to Advanced Security and check on the botton of the window.
          If ticked, uncheck the option, and choose the option to copy the permissions. Now try and change the permission, you should be able to do it.

Regards,
          Pledge Technologies.
          Last edited by Wired; 5th December 2009, 23:58. Reason: do NOT create pseudo-sigs
          Best Regards,
          Pledge Technologies

Comment

I think i'm not explaining properly. Attached is a screenshot of what i mean. user is logged in as user...I as local administrator want to alter file types, i use the run as command but my options to change or new file type are greyed out(as per screenshot)

yet if i log out the user / log back in as myself (local admin) those options are not greyed out.

so why would "run as" have less privilege than "logging in"

sorry for the confusion.
            Attached Files

Comment

Has you User Account been added to the Local Administrators Group or even been made a Local Administrator? If so, how was it done.

I ask this because it looks like you do not have administrative rights on this workstation.

How have you logged onto the workstation? What User Account did you use?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The user is logged in, i right click on "folder options" and choose "run as". I run as the local administrator......those boxes are greyed out as in the screenshot.

the administrator account is in the local administrators group.

Comment

Working...
                X