Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows cannot access the specified device path or file...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows cannot access the specified device path or file...

A friend has a Dell Dimension 3000 XP Home PC that has not had any proper maintenance since it was purchased 4 years ago. The machine is quite slow but generally seems to be in good shape. So, being a good friend I offered to carry out some maintenance...

I updated Java and removed the old Java installations. I updated their installation of Comodo Firewall Pro and Avira. I also updated the BIOS.

I ran CCleaner and cleaned out the temp files and registry.

After running the registry cleaner there were a multitude of Application Management Service errors in the System Log

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 15/11/2009
    Time: 08:53:14
    User: N/A
    Computer: PC-POD
    Description:
    The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found.

These were not logged after the PC was restarted.

I downloaded and installed a defragmenter. During scanning of the drive the defragmenter reported that a file was corrupt and that chkdsk should be run to fix the issue. The defragmenter reported 77% defragmentation of the hard drive. I did not defragment the drive.

The PC was rebooted at this point.

I ran sfc /scannow. After sfc finished the desktop wallpaper disappeared to be replaced with a plain background.

I configured chkdsk to run and to automatically find and fix errors and replace bad sectors, then restarted. CHKDSK ran and repaired the drive - the report is attached.

After the PC rebooted, I tried running various applications. When I did, the following message was displayed on the screen:

Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.

This happens when I try to run anything except My Computer. If I try to start a management console, or any of the Control Panel applets, the same message is displayed. A permissions error is also displayed when attempting to shut down/log off:

You do not have permission to shut down and restart this computer.

I have uninstalled Avira in case it was being particularly aggressive and have also restored the registry entries that were removed by CCleaner, but the error is still there.

When I start the PC in Safe Mode and log on as Administrator everything works as it should. I tried to restore the PC but no Restore Points are available. Logging in as various users with Admin rights in normal mode does not help - the same behaviour occurs.

I am waiting for the owner to bring round their installation CD so that I can attempt a repair, but I am not sure this will help.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour or know how I can restore functionality of the machine, please?

Luckily, I backed up all their data before I started this (Phew!)

If anyone can help me fix this, I'll be extremely grateful.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file...

Just found out there is no installation CD, just an OS reset tool that restores the OS to it's original settings

Comment

I could not find a way round this. Microsoft's KB recommended using secedit but it was not present. When I checked out the MS forums one of the first responses from a MS MVP on this same message was to back up the data as soon as possible.

I removed the disk and made a full copy of it then I had to use Ctrl+F11 to start the tool that restores the OS to it's original state.

Comment

Thanks for the update Blood, it is appreciated. Personally I hate working on Home as I don't have a Home CD. Lucky there was the Recovery Partition. Glad it is all working now and I bet it is running quite quick as well.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You're welcome. I'm also going to max their RAM as a Christmas present. Coupled with re-installation they should notice a massive performance improvement.

Comment

Working...
          X