Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOWTO: Migrate from Win XP Home OEM to XP Pro OEM

Hello Boys and Girls

Today I'm going to share with You my little howto. Idea was to migrate from Windows XP Home OEM to Windows XP Professional OEM without loosing your favourite settings, programs and other precious stuff.

NOTE: You need to have licensed copy of XP Pro OEM! I cannot take any responsibility when something will go wrong. That said, here's the method:

1. In XP Home start registry editor and go to HKLM/SYSTEM/ControlSet00X/Control/Product Options (where "X" in ControlSet00X is the highet number - in my case it was 2)
    2. Create there new DWORD value - Brand with value 0.
    3. Restart and during boot press F8. Choose "last known good configuration".
    4. After restart you should see "Windows XP Professional" in system properties. But that's not all, because in your system there's lack of many XP PRo specific files (i.e. gpedit.msc) License key is wrong too.
    5. Put your XP Pro CD in drive and boot from it. Choose second "r" option (repair), choose OS you want to repair. Note, that it is still as Windows XP Home. When installer asks for new key, type XP Pro key.
    6. If service pack version in XP Home is different from SP version on XP Pro install CD, after system boot you should install newest SP.

That's it! This few step can save plenty of time during migration.

I'm not sure if this method will work with Vista/7, but I'm going to test it soon.
    Stay tuned

Re: HOWTO: Migrate from Win XP Home OEM to XP Pro OEM

Alternatively just back up your data and do it properly, because this is not a supported upgrade path and I would be surprised if it remained stable long-term.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Isn't this in breach of EULA??
      Also despite that, others have published that long ago so maybe a link from the source or acknowledgment would be appreciated.:
      http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&meta=&aq=f&oq=
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

L4ndy, you're right, parts of it are from similar sources, you provided.But those links doesn't resolves all problems - XP Pro functionality (files, tools, etc)

Eula - I not really sure here, but I think if you have valid, legal copy of Win XP Pro - why not? you just omitting "backup data/settings - format - install - restore" part mentioned by cruachan.

Comment

Working...
        X