but does anybody know how to move it?

For instance I would like my volume like this:

|--pagefile.sys--|--master file table--|--windows--|--other--|

but I have not found a way to achieve this, optimal?, layout yet

Re: How to move MFT to desired location

I don't think you can.

Comment

You could probably do it with any of these Disk partition utilities but why, what would the advantages be?
      NTFS allocates a certain amount of space for MFT and only when this space is full mft files are stored outside.
      Defragging MFT wich is supported on the defrag util in XP and 2003 and later and maybe adjusting the zone reserved for MFT (default 12.5% /Reg key or fstutil on the links ) could affect the performance but I can't see how moving the zone would make a huge difference.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174619
      http://ss64.com/nt/fsutil.html
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        You could probably do it with any of these Disk partition utilities but why, what would the advantages be?
        NTFS allocates a certain amount of space for MFT and only when this space is full mft files are stored outside.
        Hi the advantages I am looking for:

- position a large pagefile.sys in front of the MFT

- currently the MFT is positioned at around 3GB inside the volume - I want a contiguous 4GB pagefile ... won't fit

- diskeeper etc. often fail when attempting to defrag the MFT due to the layout of other files on the volume ... on one of my machines there is a gap between the pagefile and the mft that, if it wasn't there, would release enough space for the defrag to succeed (instead I rebuild the volume bit by bit using ghost which takes around 6 hours and that is only 15GB of data)

my version of diskeeper has no option to move the mft - only defrag it - and it never moved it during defrag even when it could improve its position

- for a dual boot system I want the first two 4GB partitions to hold the pagefiles, the next two to hold the boot volumes
        but with an MFT stuck in the middle of the 4GB partition I can't have contiguous pagefiles

Comment

Working...
        X