Laptop boots to black screen??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop boots to black screen??

Windows XP Pro. Dell Lattitude 5200. Out of no where, when I rebooted it went through POST, saw the XP spalsh screen, but as soon as it should come up to the list of names to choose from to log in, it goes black except for the mouse moving around.

I have booted into Safe Mode. Same issue. Goes to black. I have run diagnotics from the Dell driver CD. All passed. I have run chkdsk. I have replaced the MBR. I have tried to restore from CD, won't do it.

PLEASE help. I've got so many of my kids new pics on there that I have not backed up. I really don't want to do a format/reinstall.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Laptop boots to black screen??

Sounds like a corrupt video driver. If you haven't already, try an external monitor. It very occasionally works when the LCD doesn't although it's unlikely.

Next option, have a lookhere and try disabling the video driver via the recovery console. That should let you boot and then uninstall the driver normally and install the newest version.

Last resort option: Re-install Windows over the top of the current install or to a different folder on the partition. This will almost certainly work, but won't be massively stable. It'll let you back up your data and then you can do a proper reformat and reinstall though.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Has it ever had an external monitor connected???

THere should be a combination of keys that switch between external monitor and LCD, may be worth trying that.
      Last edited by wullieb1; 3rd November 2009, 22:28.

Comment

I'm sorry...I forgot to add that I have added an external monitor. The exact same issue was had. I swapped from CRT to LCD and the same issues.

I will try the video driver disable. If I get to a dos prompt at the recovery console, how can I disable the vid driver? The command?

I was gonna reinstall on top on the install, but I don't have that option from the boot OS CD. And since I can't get into the desktop, I can't select it from the gui list.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comment

Doubles:

But wouldn't attempting Safe Mode do the same thing? Use the VGA drivers?

Comment

Have a look at the link Cruachan provided.

This will also help

http://www.microugly.com/page/blogs/...bling-drivers/

Comment

Thanks...I did, but I can't see where to disable the video driver. I see how to disable services. But again, would an attempt into Safe Mode disable the video driver? It does the same thing in Safe Mode.s

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Has it ever had an external monitor connected???

THere should be a combination of keys that switch between external monitor and LCD, may be worth trying that.
                Yes it has...and it's the Function Key and the LCD/CRT (F4). Same result.

Comment

From the link:-

DISABLE
                  disable servicename
                  Use this command to disable a Windows system service or a driver. In the command syntax, servicename specifies the name of the service or driver that you want to disable.

Use the listsvc command to display all services or drivers that are eligible to be disabled. The disable command prints the old start type of the service before resetting the start type to SERVICE_DISABLED. Record the old start type if you must enable the service again.

The disable command displays the following start_type values:
                  SERVICE_DISABLED
                  SERVICE_BOOT_START
                  SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
                  SERVICE_AUTO_START
                  SERVICE_DEMAND_START
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X