Restore registy from DOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore registy from DOS

If windows XP will NOT boot at all, does anyone have a good procedure for restoring the registry (esentially a restore) from outside windows?

I use this ERD bootable disk and it will do a restore.

I use CC cleaner or other programs that make a registry backup, and I do, but realized, "How would you restore this if it crashes windows?

Anyone? Thank in advanced.
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: Restore registy from DOS

Are you wanting to do a Restore from a backup made using CC Cleaner or a Restore made using System Restore?

If CC Cleaner, you could add the program to your ERD and restore from CC Cleaner once you have booted using ERD.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Windows does make a backup of the registry in a folder called c:\Windows\repair (or \windows\system32\repair).

You can then copy the SOFTWARE, SYSTEM and possibly SECURITY registry hives back to the c:\windows\system32\config folder.

Although this is not necessarily a recommended approach. Best way is to regularly backup the System State and restore that back, to restore registry.

Comment

Biggles - Restore either way. I've always made a point to backup the registry when any program I use offers it, but realized, I don't know how to restore it if the computer wouldn't start up.

pjhutch - Thank you for your reply.
        You say windows makes a backup of the registry in c:\windows\repair
        are you talking about when you do a restore point?

I did find those files you were talking about. so I could save those files from the \repair folder and actually back those up?

In the event my registry is corrupted or the computer won't boot, I can take those files and drop them to the system32/config folder?

I ask this because I went to restore a computer and ERD couldn't find a OS to attach to.

Thank you both for your replies.
        I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
        Chris Robertson
        The Computer Doctor

Comment

Working...
        X