Remote Desktop. ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop. ideas?

Hello all, long time reader, first timce caller , so to speak.

My problem concerns a friend of mines PC (we aere both using XP pro, sp3 etc..), to which I would like to connect via RDP (remote desktop or similar) so I can assist him in setting up his studio.
    Now the two main problems I have are
    1) he lives some distance away and access to his pc is a pain in the bum, and
    2) He is very very NOT computer literate. He would like to learn but is just hopeless =)

Now I know the proper way would be for me just to bite the bullet, visit and set up the router fw'ding for port 3389, to his pc, as I have previously connected back to my PC from his (I dont use a router), but because of his wireless connection he has to use a router and a NAT'ed connection, but at that visit I forgot to configure the ports to handle the connection the other way.
    I really dont want to have to visit, just to do that and the prospect of talking him through the procedutre on the phone is not one I would like to think about.

My question is, might there be some other way to achive what i'm after?

Frinstance some program that uses something like UPNP to handle the router? (UPNP is working his end). I mean the fact I can get him to connect to ME via RDP must be of some use, all I want to do is the same. just in reverse. So when the connection is made, I would just sorta crawl back through the pipe and control HIS pc?? or something like "NetMeeting" or whatever, utilising an external directory service?

I hope I am making some sort of sense and someone has a kewl and funky answer to save me a wasted day's worth of travel.

Many thanks in advance.

B

Re: Remote Desktop. ideas?

How about remote assistance ?

Comment

Originally posted by ajw901 View Post
      How about remote assistance ?
      Exactly my first thought, but apparently not. I thought that with window's SSDP's and "Network Location Awareness" that it might be able to set itself up to work, but no, no joy. Besides, took me best part of a day to get my friend to be just be able to save off and send the ".msrcincident" file. (when I say he is not computer literate, I REALLY mean it! sigh).

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Use Teamviewer. All he has to do is install a client and you likewise do the same and manage it over http. Much simpler and no modifications need to be made to any firewall(s).

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Comment

scurlaruntings

Thanks for that, I was also just told about that on another board, with two independant reccomendations it looks like it might be just what I need, at least until I configure something a little more "private". My friend is away for the weekend, but I will give it a go monday. Many thanks for the helpful advice.

B.

Comment

Team viewer connections are pipped over SSL using AES. Thats actually a far more securer configuration than opening ports on your firewall and trying to use RDP. The rule of thumb is never open any ports on your firewall unless you have to. If the transmissions can be made outbound over SSL even better as the connection is encrypted.

Comment

What if I want to login as an Administrator on the desktop i want to remote to administrative privileges? is possible with Teamviewer? thanks

Comment

Teamviewer enables you to logon to the users "console" session. In other words it interacts with their desktop. If the user has root privlieges then you will also. If they dont then you can elevate their credentials with the "run as" switch assuming you know what the administrator password is - from the user.

Comment

Working...
                X