XP bottom taskbar problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP bottom taskbar problems

A user's windows XP's taskbar has problem. After she opened application, it didn't show on taskbar at bottom. How can I fix it or reset the taskbar.

Thanks.

Re: XP bottom taskbar problems

When this user logs off / reboots the system and it's still missing? Is the task bar moved and auto-hidden in other portions of the screen? If the taskbar is there but just not at the bottom you can always drag the taskbar to the bottom from it's current location. You just have to make sure the task bar is not locked.

What happens when you hit the "Windows" key -- nothing? If the task bar shows up when you hit the "windows key" just uncheck - auto-hide in taskbar properties.

if all the above doesn't work and the "application" the user ran was not legit and it's some malware, you may need to repair the windows installation. Before you do that though, you can try to log into the computer as a different user. If the task bar is fine there, you can always backup her profile data and just delete her profile and have log in again to create a new one.

repairing the installation would be the last step.

Comment

Or, what can sometimes happen is that the application might run full-screen and is set to be 'on-top', thus masking the Taskbar.

Is the Taskbar visible if the app is run in a small window?
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I don't think that's the problem that's being experienced - the OP describes a program not appearing in the taskbar, not that the taskbar isn't visible.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ahhh - thanks.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

What toolbars do you have on the task bar???

You may need to unlock the taskbar and resize any that are there.

Comment

As already mentioned, resetting the user profile would by my first move, if that fails have a look at this: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

At present, we don't know what application is causing this issue - not all applications appear in the Taskbar. We also don't know if it's only affecting one user, or one computer, or...

I'd be inclined to troubleshoot a bit further before scrubbing the profile.

@userhk: any chance we could have an update on this, and maybe a reply to roguecoolman's questions?
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

It is irrelevant what application is causing the issue. Obviously the normal behaviour of the application in question is not the same as what the user is experiencing.If it wasn't a problem for the OP he woudn't have gone into all the trouble of starting the thread
                  Also on the original post he/she does explicitly say "One user's" so why should we assume otherwise?!?
                  Resetting the profile doesn't necessarily mean scrubbing it.
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I've learned not to assume - therefore I'm not assuming that the OP has verified that the issue only affects one user etc.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Similar topic,
                      http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/sho...19&postcount=4

Fixed with xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs written by Kelly Theriot and Doug Knox.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                      X