Printer not defaulting to A4, even though config correctly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer not defaulting to A4, even though config correctly

We have a 2003 network with 2 network multifunction printers (1 HP and 1 Lexmark). Everyone prints in A4 (they are setup as A4 on the server), no one else is experiencing this issue.

I have a user that is running XP SP3.
    When I check his printers in control panel they all say A4 (in all 3 locations in preferences). But when he tries to print anything, when we click on printer preferences in the print dialogue it comes up as Letter (from all programs, even notepad). Started about 1 month ago.

• The unusual thing is that this is applying to both of the printers.
    • Can be changed to A4 during printing, but must be done every time.
    • I have checked his regional settings, which are set to English (Australia).
    • I have deleted the 2 printers, and then gone in to File - Server Properties and removed the drivers (required a restart before I could remove them). Then reinstalled them. Same issue.
    • I thought it might be a profile issue, so logged in as local admin and checked out the printers; again, the printer preferences were all set to A4 in Control Panel, but when I tried to print anything from any program it defaults to Letter.

He does have 2 pdf printers installed as well (I mention as I'm aware that pdf printers default to Letter), but they have been installed for a long time now & no changes have been made.

I have made no changes to either of the printers.
    This is driving me a bit insane, anyone know what might be causing this?
    I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
    Go Here for their free 5GB: http://www.idrive.com/p=gavamm
    I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Re: Printer not defaulting to A4, even though config correctly

If the user uses another computer, does the problem follow him? (I assume you're using roaming profiles and/or Folder Redirection)

Does the problem affect other users logging in to that computer?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are not using roaming profiles or Folder Redirection. They are local profiles.
      The user can log onto a Terminal Server and can print from it with no issues, which I think reinforces the idea that the issue resides on the local computer.

Per my last bullet point I've tried loggin on as local administrator, the issue also happens with them. So I'm tending to think it's something to do with the print setup on the laptop.
      I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
      I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Comment

Check your Regional Settings and make sure they are all correct for your location. Don't forget the UniCode.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I had already checked regional settings per my first post (point 3).
          I changed unicode to Australian (which I don't do on any of the computers that don't have this problem), but that didn't resolve the issue.

Comment

Is there an option for A4 in the General Tab on the printer Properties Page?

Click image for larger version

Name:	printer-general-tab.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	464221
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

All the properties are set to A4
              I've attached screenshots.

I can't get into the advanced properties section for a screenshot for this user (it's locked), but on the server these are also set to A4.
              Attached Files

Comment

Have you changed it on the server as well? So logging in on the server and change the settings over there?
                IIRC I had something similar many years ago and I'd believe that was the solution.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

It should be fine on the server as no one else is having this issue, but I'll check again and post reply.

Comment

I can confirm that all of the printer properties are in fact set to A4 on the server.
                    Regional settings on the server are set to Australia.

Comment

Any other thoughts on this one?
                      I'd like to avoid a format/reinstall over a printing issue..

Comment

Can the same documents that are printed by this user also be printed by others from their own machines successfully? The only time I have seen this where I work is when someone has printed a Word or Excel or PDF document that is setup to be printed as letter - it overrides the driver settings.

Have you also tried using different drivers - swapping between PCL6 and PS drivers? And, another thing you may want to try is to install the base PCL6 driver on the client, then overwrite it with a driver from a different manufacturer and see how that works. All PCL6 commands are implemented the same - the only problem you may encounter is tray assignment or configuration of other optional features. If these fail too, then perhaps a call to the printer's support people might help.

[Edit]

Another thing to try is to setup a direct print driver. Type \\ipaddress of the printer - you should be able to download/install a driver that prints directly to the printer rather than going via the print server.
                        Last edited by Blood; 12th October 2009, 07:27. Reason: Added additional info
                        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                        X